+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Question Life advice/two cents RE returning to study, please?

I am just wondering about where to go in my life from here, and wanting to ask what other people would do in my situation. Would like to see some perspectives from other mums and people who might have been there.
    I fell pregnant just before my last semester at university while I was studying nursing, I was supposed to be graduated by now. However due to pregnancy complications I couldn't complete my final 6 week practical and just did the written component and I'm going to complete the practical in the next semester. I've never felt particularly drawn to nursing, I just found it interesting and think it gives good employment opportunities. My partner graduated from tafe when I was pregnant, but he has struggled to find a job in his area and is working a minimum wage job.. there just seems to be nothing So we are on a shoestring budget as is and it's going to be tougher when I am not bringing in money for 6 weeks.
    ahem HOWEVER, that's not my dilemma lol
    I believe I have found my life calling since having my baby.. I would like to become a midwife! I can't stop thinking about it, I feel such a tug towards doing this. I want to help ladies in this journey so much. There is a 1.5 year course I could apply to at a local university after completing my nursing.
    The problem is that I was SO MUCH looking forwards to working full time and having money in the bank for the first time in what feels like forever. I wanted to start saving for our own home, maybe go on our first holiday together, clearing debt and having more babies. I am so so so tired of living week-to-week and never being able to do anything. The constant stress of 'do we have enough money' has been going on for years now.

SSSSSOO What I would like advice on.. do I go back to uni and study again now, or later on in my life? I've heard these things called children get more expensive down the line, and going back to studying might be harder later on? But we need money! I just feel stuck between listening to my heart and my head! My partner says he will love to support me on whatever I choose, as long as I can help pay the rent somehow (practical not nasty). Advice me away!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Could you somewhat get the best of both worlds by working as a nurse PT and studying midwifery at the same time?
    Otherwise I think knocking over all the studying now would be your best bet. Suffer through some short term pain (poverty) for long term gain.
    Also factor in that you are eligible for more from centrelink ( parenting payment and ftb) when your kids are younger.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (12-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would work full time as a nurse for a year or so, then you will have some experience which is sure to help with your midwifery studies. How about trying to get a job at a maternity hospital (the one I had my kids at had nurses and midwives on the antenatal ward- I'm assuming this is normal).
    Also with this experience and some contacts you might be able to get agency work or PT work that you can then fit around your studies which will help with the money situation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Firstly, if you currently qualify for parenting payment, you may qualify for JET childcare assistance (eligibility recently changed so not up with it all). This could influence your decision.

I returned to study later in life and it was fantastic. All if my life experience plus work experience (had worked as an assistant for a year before studying teaching) made uni so much easier second time around. I was better at organising myself, managing stress and deadlines, had insider knowledge which definitely made assignments easier and returning to study after a break was a great chance to use that part of my brain again.

I also took a year off in the middle of my first degree to save up some money as I was living hand to mouth for the first 2 years. I did a lot better at uni when l returned both due to less financial stress and also working full time taught me skills that I could apply to studying.

So from my experience, waiting is not a bad thing. You don't need to wait decades, perhaps just 1-2 years to get yourselves on your feet, get a bit of backup money behind you and get some nursing experience, which will make studying midwifery easier as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you guys I guess I just feel so eager to start but at the time time I don't want too much on my plate? Anyway I have organised my thoughts a bit (just writing that thread out helped) and I think I'm going to apply for some postgraduate nursing positions and if i don't get anything then I will just keep going with studies. In the mean time I am going to do some volunteer work in that area I think I need to stop feeling like I've got to plan every detail and go with the flow a bit

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know how you feel, I am waiting to see if I am approved for a program transfer into the dual degree from my straight nursing degree. My uni requires applicants for the masters of midwifery to have 12 months nursing experience before continuing with study. Maybe see if you can get work in Maternity? You only need to be a midwife in antenatal and birth suite, otherwise you can just be a nurse. Good luck!