+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Returning to work

What do I put on my resume? I haven't worked since I was 21 years old (now 24)... It seems a huge gap! I've been at uni on and off between kids.

I really want to return to the work force ☺️

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Be honest about the fact you've been studying. And if you've been doing any volunteer work or anything else which demonstrates skills in a certain area, list that too. Eg, assisting at kinder, fundraising, doing partners business bookwork all counts !

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I might apply for some agency work (I've previously worked in aged care) but would love a 9-5 job. Thank you great tips

Thanks
    Reviews
    As Hopeful said, study and any volunteer work. Do not mention that you have children. Although illegal, there may be some that put your CV into the "No" pile.

Feel free to hint at your age (year you finished school etc) as 24 is considered in the "good" age range for some basic admin type jobs (if that's what you want).

Don't Google your cover letter, write it as though you were talking to them. I can get over 300 applicants for a basic admin/accounts type role. The ones that stand out are the ones with some personality.

Don't use fancy font, proof read and remember to spell check. (you'd be surprised)

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Even in your cover letter you can talk about your desire to return to the workforce after studying part time whilst raising your family.