+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Angry Stubborn case of lice.

I apologise in advance for the itching.

2 year old DS has a very stubborn case of lice. The first wave happened at the beginning of December and it seemed to disappear after doing the requisite two treatments a week apart.

Now it's back. Due to a slight miscommunication, DS has already had two treatments so far with two different lice shampoos. But they buggers are STILL hanging around. The next treatment isn't until Wednesday or Thursday and a new wave has hatched. The actual lice are tiny so far and the eggs have travelled down the hair shaft (which I think means they're deadish?) but I'm just anticipating more drama.

Can anyone recommend a treatment suitable for a two year old? Or something I can try between treatments just in case. Short of a nuclear attack, I'm willing to try it all.

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    You will probably want to treat things like all the pillowcases, sheets and car seats. I've read on here people making up a spray of listerine and water and using that with effect, but I don't know the quantities.

If your ds will sit still for half an hour or so every second day, you can put a but load of cheap conditioner in his hair and then use a nit comb to pull all the eggs and lice you can find out. The conditioner stuns them, not kills them but it is also effective when done every second day!

Good luck!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

GrabbyCrabby  (11-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If all else fails try combing as much as possible and using a hair straightener through the hair to kill/pop/burn any remaining eggs - easier with longer hair but worth a go if they are persistent.

Thanks
    Reviews
    A number one

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If mine were boys and I couldn't get rid of head lice I would shave their head as well.

I use Full Marks spray and usually Moov. I use Full Marks first but it does leave their hair oily.

I comb through every day with conditioner and re-treat with Moov if I find live lice before the 7 days are up. My children are older and I comb through their hair while they play minecraft.

We have had them this week I combed through DDs hair yesterday and it took me about 1 1/2 hrs but I combed through again and their was no lice and only a few eggs. I will comb through each day this week and retreat on Friday, and then comb through every second day.

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I shave my boys heads a number two and then use
    Moov as well as condition and comb every afternoon after school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wonder if you could use diatomaceous earth (food grade) in his hair?
    We use it to kill fleas (sometimes Advantage seems to loose its punch and need a little help) and ants .

It's a natural product and works by the sharp fine particles cutting up the insect upon contact.
    It's safe on pets so I suspect research would say some in his hair should be okay

Thanks
    Reviews
    The conditioner brush threw with a steel nit comb works well in between and after treatments. The plastic nit combs are useless.

I have found whatever the chemical in kp22 to be one of the best treatments. You waste your money on natural products, you may as well just be using conditioner brush threw. I also look and pick eggs out with my fingers.

Your DS may be getting reinfected so even after you have treated I would do a conditioner brush threw every week, after you have eradicated them.
    I read somewhere that if you rinse your hair with vinager that it breaks the bond that the eggs have on the hair. I however have never tried this.

you only need to change the pillow slip with the bedding as the live ones don't live that long when they are not on the body.

Good luck with it all I feel your pain as I hate headlice.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Robicombs (rabocomb?) are awesome.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I have battled a continuous war with lice since dd1 was 12 months old. Im talking daily combing and she was still sent home less than an hour later. And then of course as her sisters have gotten older its gotten worse. A few months ago I stumbled on a product called Licener. Its amazing! Its a 10 minute treatment, and claims to be 'no combing required' although i still comb their hair, and contains no chemical nasties. It kills lice AND eggs. We have been lice free for months, for the first time in 6 years!! Its only available in a couple of pharmacies in Australia but I bought it online. I swear by it now.