+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Exercise after c-section

Just wondering if you have to wait the 6 weeks to start exercise? I am feeling back to normal and was thinking of doing some wii fit/zumba but don't want to if it's too soon. I am 17 days PP.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I would give it the 6 weeks as well as waiting til after your 6 week check up by your gp/obstetrician. There's a lot of healing that has to happen internally after a caesarean, and if you start exercising too soon you'll risk doing some damage. If you're itching to do something, maybe go for a walk with bubs. Just a gentle stroll, not a power walk.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Asking for trouble there! Get a clearance from your doc before doing anything like that. Usually they won't give a clearance before 4-6 weeks. Even then that's only for moderate exercise. If you ask a physio they will usually recommend 6 months before doing things like running.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (11-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would only be doing moderate walking. The csection goes through several stomach layers and 17 days is not much even if you're feeling ok.

My friend got a hernia from being sick after her csection and the issues are very difficult and on going. Strenuous or even too much exercise is a risk.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    No way would I be doing zumba 17 day pp after a c/s! c/s can mislead us. We feel better so do too much, then we overdo it and it sets us back. Been there done that. The incisions go through muscle, skin and organs it's a major op. Give it until 4 weeks at least before doing vigorous exercise.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (11-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My ob told me it was fine to get out walking with the pram a week post c section and to build up to my normal levels of exercise (running, weights etc) by 4-5 weeks.

Depending on how you feel you don't necessarily need to wait 6 weeks, but I think it's best to increase the intensity of exercise slowly and gradually.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would wait until 6 weeks personally... So many layers of muscle etc need to be properly rested & repaired. I'd hate for you to be shaking your butt during Zumba and pop something

I was only doing basic mum stuff and popped a stitch. I remember feeling the burning and stinging for months while it was repairing. Only at 8-12mo pp I started looking at post csection exercises - no crunches! Gentle walking is fine

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would wait till 6 weeks. Just go for walks. When you overdo it it really sets your recovery back.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I thought as much, thanks ladies will stick to walks!