+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    I have absolutely no idea we never really gave ourselves a budget just hunted around for bargains etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I had no budget as such, I just bought what I thought we needed. If it was an item that was costly I'd shop around for the best price.

Whilst I felt I tried my best at the time to get good quality & value, I bought almost everything in new condition. I now realise I could have saved so much money if I bought more stuff 2nd hand.

Considering I haven't gone on to have further babies it makes all those purchases even more of a waste of money!

Thanks
    Reviews
    With ds we got cot, highchair, car capsule and seat, lots of boy newborn clothes from a friend. Mil got us bookshelf, mum got us pram and bassinet and baby monitor. We bought change table, new mattress, electric breast pump, carpet, some clothes and little stuff so probably spent around $1000. Also went publoc and was so happy with care that went public with dd and now as well. With dd bought tandem pram $300 and some clothes but was also given clothes and another cot with a matress and another car seat. Mil got me an ergo baby carrier wich was the best investment. This time havent bought anything yet but got another car seat from a friend. I guess we had to upgrade our car which was $18000. But our old broke down so we got seven seater. I dont believe in spending much and I m very much in favour of recyclying and using secondhand as long as its safe and in good condition.

tazz475 is offline Holy banjo, check out boob mountain!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    This post made me stop and think about how much I've spent so far... I just went through my bank statement and found that I've spent $948.00, I did buy the pram already (I've spent $648 on other small things) but I'm only 13 weeks!!!! So I'm guessing I'm going to aim for 4-5k including furniture.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We didn't have a budget so much. But spent about $900 all up
    Car seat was most expensive from memory. Bought new and put on lay buy

We bought new; a replica eames rocking chair and a few new clothes, nappies and wipes etc and a nappy bag and an ikea high chair.

Everything else was 2nd hand.
    Df found a great cot for $80 and had it professionally repainted at work.
    I made a lot of blankets and clothes.

Second hand baby swing, clothes, Draws we already had, df built a change table top for them and I painted and put new handles on. 2nd hand pram too.

A lot of toys we got given and we didn't decorate the room much. Just put up some nice pictures and book shelves.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I should have added, we wont be given much so everything will come out of our pocket...im guessing it might be around 5k given a pram is almost $1000 on its own. 😕

Any tips for buying second hand? I have been looking at cots, but i think id rather buy a pram new?

Thanks
    Reviews
    With DS we bought
    - Cot, change table and highchair $100 second hand
    - Tall boy $200 new
    - Low boy $40 second hand
    - Kmart book/toy case ×3 with baskets $100 new
    - Angelcare monitor $280 on special new
    - Pram $40 second hand
    We were given a new cot mattress, bassinet with mattress, bouncer and car seat off family.
    We then got heaps of baby stuff at the baby shower I threw which cost me about $300 with food and decorations.
    Being pregnant again we have purchased a second hand city select for $550 with adaptors and are borrowing a capsule from family but have a second car seat that was purchased after DS was born for $380. Looking at getting a 6 month to 8 years for him now which my mum wants to buy us as she does with all grandkids and then we don't need much else for this bub at all

Thanks
    Reviews
    This will be baby #1 for us, and I think I've planned to spend about 2 to 2.5k all up. That assume we're paying for everything, and excludes any stuff for me.

We've using the smaller of our bedrooms so I can't anything to large. (Bigger room is at the front of the house and I'm worried someone would steal my baby! lol)

Cot, mattress & dresser from Ikea. Dresser will double as the change table. And all are solid wood, none of that particleboard crap. Total: $500-$800

I feel in love with this, and while totally unnecessary I may have to have it: http://www.charliecrane.fr/en/transat-levo/

Going with a Mountain Buggy pram. My girlfriend has one and it's amazing. (Admittedly I wanted a Bugaboo, but I've been told by many sources that they are really bad for your wrists.) Total: $700ish + 200 for the travel stuff.

I'll probably splash on some nice sheets, so assume around $200

No idea on a monitor, but assuming around $200.

Breast pump will be the Spectra S2; it gets amazing reviews: $269

A few slings... Gosh I'm probably missing a lot.

My SIL offered me her Boori set, but it's hideous so I politely declined on the basis that they'd surely have a 2nd soon. I find that stuff an epic waste of money, but to each their own.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We spent well under $500 on everything. I never added it up, but car seat and cot were $150 each and we got a second hand pram for $10. We were given $350 by our parents, so we were out of pocket next to nothing.
    I knew we'd get heaps of gifts so I didn't buy any clothes except Kmart onesies for the early days. I've still barely bought her any clothes and she's nearly 2!
    We have plenty of money but choose to spend it on other things. I can't justify spending big money on things that I can get cheaply.

Thanks
    Reviews
    All up about $1.5k. We set up DD's room more so for teen years then baby years. Did a colour theme rather then item/animal
    Found bargain cot and drawers, target pram, DP building wardrobe and bookshelf as well as window seat/toybox. Most expensive item was the baby monitor at $300.
    Everything brand new
    Last edited by MummaCat; 28-01-2015 at 17:18.