+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default What is your budget...

For setting up for when baby comes?

Im curious to see how much others have spent/are spending on setting up the nursery and on other items like prams, car seats etc. What was your biggest ticket item?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Curious to see the responses as well! We'd budgeted for about $4 - $5k (and that was for literally everything including nursery decorations and some stuff that is nice to have but not essential) but that will likely go up a bit now we're expecting twins.

Originally we were going to get a Strider Compact but will now be going for a Bugaboo Donkey - that's another $1200 right there! Plus getting a double electric breast pump, two car seats...

However we're saving on some things like getting Ikea Cots, second hand armchair/lazy boy for the nursery, and some things we'll no longer need to buy (like a bassinet/cosleeper as they'll both go in the one cot to start with). We'll also be cutting out some non-essential stuff.

I'm hoping for/guessing around $6k.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsA2B For This Useful Post:

Tildy  (12-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

About 5k I think but in hindsight I would never spend that again. So much good quality second hand stuff around

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lilypily For This Useful Post:

Mod-Degrassi  (11-01-2015),Sethysmum  (28-01-2015),smallpotatoes  (14-01-2015),SoThisIsLove  (08-06-2015),VicPark  (11-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ending 5/6/15100 Posts in a week
    I didn't spend much. I tried sourcing what i could from gumtree and got a cot from ikea. I got a 900 dollar pram that i wanted for only 100 that was so new the tyre tread wasn't even worn down. i don't see the point in doing a huge nursery set up as it will only be used until the baby is 18 mpnths to 3 yrs and going into a big kids bed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

All together maybe $2000.

I bought a boori cot second hand, mattress brand new, the most expensive items were car seat and pram.

Furniture was from ikea and change table I ordered online for cheaper then in the stores.

None of it felt overly expensive, I bought clothes along the way and had a layby on of sheets/towels/blankets that I just got off close to when Dd was due so I didn't have to worry.

Bassinet I got used from a close friend. I didn't buy a feeding chair or anything because I knew I wouldn't use it.

All in all it was fairly in expensive and stretched over months. Babies are a lot more expensive once they arrive Lol.

Edit- my dad painted the nursery and paid for the paint, my mum bought a rug ($200) and the rest of the decor I either made (which wasn't that cheap but it was important to me when I was nesting) or I got cheap but it all went together so it looked nice.
    Last edited by DreamyMummy; 11-01-2015 at 09:23.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    For free second hand I got the cot, bassinet, clothes, change table.

I bought the pram ($250), car seat ($400 x 2 = 800), rocker recliner (1800).

I'm pretty happy with what I bought. Only thing I would change is I wouldn't buy a pram, I was given one second hand but bought a new one. I ended up swapping to a stroller at 6 months so wasn't worth it.

The rocker recliner is my favourite purchase, still in use because I bought a proper lazy boy one. It's where I feed bottles, cuddle and watch the wiggles, and we slept there many many rough nights.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think we probably spent between $6500-$7500 in total. $5k was nursery set up and the rest was on everything else we bought but we bought all new stuff

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    This time around I bought everything second hand (last baby, big gap between kids) bar the car seat which was worth $300 but paid $150 on sale. I got a heap of stuff off the buy and sells on FB. Baby clothes, a lovely cot that only did one child for $50. A wonderfully kind hubber gave me their electric breast pump. I bought the swing and bassinet in excellent condition as well.

Each to their own but I could never spend a fortune. nurseries last 12 -18 months and even if you have more kids you usually want a different theme for them. Ultimately a $300 pram usually does the same job as a 2k one. All the baby needs is love, food and safety.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    With DS1 I probably spent $1,000 (cheap pram, car seats, some clothes, exersaucer etc). I got most times second hand for free from a relative (cot, cradle, nursery decorations). I bought a lot of clothes second hand off EBay.Add to this I was $7,000 out of pocket for delivery bub in the private system.

With DS2 I shelled out probably $100 for new clothing, $100 for a new cot mattress and $700 for a new double pram (baby jogger city select). Everything else was hand me down from ds1 and I haven't really decorated the nursery yet as the decorations are in ds1s room still. I've bought a few more second hand clothes from EBay ($15 here and there for bulk packs). Money is tighter this time around but the pram would have to be the best investment I've made in a while. It has made my mat leave with 2 kids that much easier and more enjoyable!).

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Maybe $2k total, incl everything.

I didn't buy a cot or pram (both were given to us). I bought a chest of drawers and a bookshelf and 2 car seats new. I