+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Ikea Storage Cubes

Good morning mums

I am looking to buy the ikea storage cubes (2x4). Do these cubes have to be attached to the wall for safety reasons? We are in a rental so unable to fix anything to the walls but I don't want to compromise the safety of my 10 month old who will likely climb over it!

Cheers

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MsB For This Useful Post:

Reina83  (20-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It is advised that you attach them to the wall and they come with brackets, etc to do so.

Obviously you don't have to attach them to the wall, but I feel they can tip quite easily so have attached ours. I don't trust my girls to not climb them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I've had these shelves since my kids were babies and never had them attached. We never had any issues with them being pulled over. I guess you might just have to be extra viligant with supervision if you have a climber but I guess that's just one of the joys of being a renter in this day and age.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have 2 of the 2x4's but mine are laying horizontally. They are not attached to the wall as we rent but they are quite solid this way. I wouldn't put them vertically without securing them though.

20130716_103835.jpg
    Last edited by WiseOldOwl; 11-01-2015 at 07:57.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have a 2x4 similar to ikea but different brand. I have it lying long ways and it is quite heavy so I didn't attach to the wall although it is recommended on the instructions. My kids aren't climbers so it hasn't been a problem for us.
    Also I put the heavy things on the bottom layer and the light things on the top as the kids tend to pull the baskets out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you everyone we would be having it horizontal like WiseOldOwl has shown

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have our 2x4 horizontal as well. We also have 2 4x4 which are not fixed to the wall as they are so full, they cant move. One also has the L shaped desk attached.
    If they had less stuff in them, we would fix them to the wall.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi ladies
    Just following on from my previous question, has anyone used the storage boxes from anywhere other then ikea? I see that bunnings and officeworks have them. Are they all the same? Are one type more sturdier than others?

Only reason I'm asking is that we don't have an ikea anywhere near us!

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Deleted post (double)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MsB View Post
    Hi ladies
    Just following on from my previous question, has anyone used the storage boxes from anywhere other then ikea? I see that bunnings and officeworks have them. Are they all the same? Are one type more sturdier than others?

Only reason I'm asking is that we don't have an ikea anywhere near us!

Thanks
    Yes I have the Bunnings ones in mine and they fit well.

They are a lot cheaper and have some fun bright colours - which is what I was looking for. They are canvas ones which can fold down but do fine for toys. They have sturdy ones as well from memory.