+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Cutting costs - groceries?

Hi All, just wondering how people cut costs on their grocery bills?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Meal plan
    Buy to the season
    Buy reduced meat and plan around the specials
    Buy home brand.
    When something you use regularly goes on sale buy in bulk.
    Not be conned into multi buys eg 3 for $5 if will only use one
    Make cheap meals
    Make your own snacks
    Pkt mixes for cakes, biscuits, slices etc are often way more than making from scratch.
    In saying that a home brand cake mix can be mixed with 1 cup most fluids eg soft drink or mashed pumpkin or a tin of fruit etc... which is can be super cheap treat.
    Popcorn kernels (the bag for 99 cents) are super cheap treats. 1 bag lasts a long time.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

NurseAnni  (10-01-2015)

bunkx is offline Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If your a terrible impulse shopper like me online shopping coles have free delivery on Wednesday if you spend over $100 :-) I've been using it for awhile now and have been sticking to my budget

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Follow the starch solution diet (have a Google if you don't know what it is). It's a really cheap way to eat.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Subbing.
    My tip is to be well stocked on staples so you can easily make something without having to buy stuff from shops eg. Flour, butter, long life milk, eggs, frozen veg.
    If you don't meal plan then buying meat that is vacuum sealed is good because it lasts a while so you can have it in the fridge until ready to use.
    Also I freeze as much as I can to stop food going mouldy eg. shredded cheese, chilli, lime leaves, fruit for use in smoothies, dried shrimps etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Another good one is to always have a homemade meal in your freezer. To save you from take away meals on your 'I just couldn't be bothered days'

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Definitely meal plan but have some "easy" meals on hand for when you can't be bothered, like anewme said. Either make extra serves of something when cooking and freeze in take away containers/zip lock bags, or have a couple of tins of spaghetti. In our house I have a pack of chicken nuggets and oven chips in the freezer, this is my standard "can't be bothered" meal for the kids probably once a fortnight or so.

Do a stock take of your pantry/fridge/freezer and do the meal plan based on this, then write your list based on what's missing from the meal plan.

Buy homebrand as much as you can. Don't buy prepackaged foods, especially snack size. We buy a box of cheezels or shapes for the kids and divide them into our own containers each day. Bake your own snacks. Bulk out meat with legumes and veg -- 250gm mince mixed with a tin of lentils, whatever veg is on hand and served with pasta is enough for our family of 4 for 2 nights with leftovers (which normally get frozen in kid portions or served on wraps with salad for lunch one day).

Find a good fruit & veg shop! Produce tastes better, lasts longer and is cheaper than supermarkets!

Check out the clearance section but only buy it if you will use it.

And don't shop when you're hungry!!