+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Mental Illness

Hi Everyone, is there anyone out there that suffers from mental illness? I have bipolar II. I'm just feeling a bit lonely (which seems selfish as I have hubby and a 15 yo son at home). Am about 17 weeks pregnant now, and feeling very alone in my head, very misunderstood and very not-up-to the challenge. Very emotional and stressed and feeling like a huge failure, frightened of everything and terrified of bad things happening during pregnancy/labour (crazy I know, but my last pregnancy/childbirth will be 14 years ago when baby arrives).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi lovely, I have been diagnosed with major depressive disorder and anxiety. My husband is bipolar. I hear you. It's an emotional roller coaster. Maybe try and have some "me" time to relax .... Do something you enjoy ...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey @Amgine - I've suffered from depression and anxiety for many years. Currently 27w4d pregnant and I feel like I can't cope. I've been having anxiety and panic attacks and insomnia - I can't sleep! I went into pre-term labour at 24w and ever since I feel like a ticking time bomb... I'm also a bit of a control freak and having absolutely no idea when bub may arrive is driving me crazy.

I'm scared of labour and terrified of how I'll be once little one is here - my whole life is about to change and I have zero control.

I can totally relate to how you're feeling - sending you massive hugs and positive vibes x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi everyone,

I have PTSD, Depression & Anxiety. I was pretty worried about pregnancy but my DP & I made this plan beforehand, no idea if it's useful to anyone but I'll share it anyway.

1. Expecting that I will have low points and tough times sometimes and not beating myself up for it - just simply taking the time I need to recover and accepting that as a part of life (I also have some more specific plans for getting through my moods/triggers).

2. Always be honest with my GP, midwife and other health professionals.

3. Continue seeing my psychologist throughout my pregnancy and beyond if needed.

Life can be tough, and to all my sisters out there struggling with mental illness and still having life go on I can only say that I think you're all brave and wonderful and amazing

One of my specific ideas for helping me through the tough times is to start a scrapbook/diary with happy moments, nice texts/emails from people, excited thoughts about my baby etc etc. Anything that makes me feel joy. It's my favourite idea so far and I've found it really useful in the past. Everyone has their own things that help, I guess it's about your journey to finding exactly what those things are.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much everyone. It is nice to not feel so alone. To know that there are other women out there that aren't having the super happy/positive pregnancy. I have been feeling so guilty because for every flicker of excitement I have, every small moment of joy.. I have a trillion more sad, lonely, frightened ones. I have been feeling like a failure before my baby even gets here, my marriage is also very strained atm (baby was not planned) and for the last 2 days we haven't even hugged or kissed. :'(
    Hubby calls the baby "his baby", but makes "jokes" about seeing if it comes out looking like another culture. This is so hurtful, he has question where he was when I fell pregnant and the way he speaks to me know, I feel like am am just a vessel and the only value I have is delivering a perfect baby. I even tried to lighten the mood one day when he was talking like this and said, "yeah, well I'll just leave", his response was "you're not taking my kid anywhere, you'll lose, I have the financial backing"(something like that). I felt cold and numb, shocked, I felt like vomiting. I have to try to not let my 14 y.o see this, what effect this is having.
    I feel so defeated, I think I have lost the man who asked me to marry him, who called me his princess, who said he travelled the world to find me and will never let me go. :'(

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much everyone. It is nice to not feel so alone. To know that there are other women out there that aren't having the super happy/positive pregnancy. I have been feeling so guilty because for every flicker of excitement I have, every small moment of joy.. I have a trillion more sad, lonely, frightened ones. I have been feeling like a failure before my baby even gets here, my marriage is also very strained atm (baby was not planned) and for the last 2 days we haven't even hugged or kissed. :'(
    Hubby calls the baby "his baby", but makes "jokes" about seeing if it comes out looking like another culture.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Mental Illness

This is so hurtful, he has question where he was when I fell pregnant and the way he speaks to me know, I feel like am am just a vessel and the only value I have is delivering a perfect baby. I even tried to lighten the mood one day when he was talking like this and said, "yeah, well I'll just leave", his response was "you're not taking my kid anywhere, you'll lose, I have the financial backing"(something like that). I felt cold and numb, shocked, I felt like vomiting.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I feel so defeated, I think I have lost the man who asked me to marry him, who called me his princess, who said he travelled the world to find me and will never let me go. :'(