+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Fencing temporary pool

We're thinking of getting one of those cheap above ground pools from Big W that you put up and take down at the end of summer. Pretty much an overgrown paddling pool.

I'm aware that we need to get a pool fence and definitely will comply with this but am finding it hard to find out which rules apply to these portable pools. I know we need a compliant pool fence, and a certificate from a certifier but can't find out if a building approval is also needed. It seems strange to need a building approval for something that is not permanent. I'd call council and ask but they're closed for the weekend. It seems that by the time you pay for all the approvals and fence the $200 pool is a $2000 pool.

Has anyone gotten one of these temporary (portable) pools and fenced it and gone through the approval process? How long did it take to get your approvals and certificates and roughly how expensive was it? Did you find it worth it or would you recommend not bothering getting a temp pool and just save up til you can afford a proper pool? I heard that you can get a temporary fence and temporary approval for 3 months - has anyone done this?

Don't worry - if we can't afford the fencing process we won't be getting the pool. I agree a fence is 100% necessary. Its just the process I would love advice about.

Thanks in advance for any insight anyone can share with me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not sure how it works in your area but our local council has the follow for fences.

'Council does not have any jurisdiction or responsibility in respect to fences unless the fences impacts upon safe sight distance or are greater than 2.1 metres in height or if it is built of masonry or concrete and is more than 1.2 metres in height, and then a building permit will be required to be obtained from Council. If a building permit is necessary then planning approval may also be required to construct a fence on your property.'

Perhaps your council has a web page that may have some information on it on pool fencing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My council's webpage on pool fencing is severely lacking. It has an awful lot of 'mays' which doesn't really help me at all. I've read the pool fence standard which is great for the nitty gritty of the fence details but again doesn't go into the approval process at all.

I think I'll call a local pool fence company on Monday and see what they say.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's annoying when things are not really clear. I know that my councils requirements of when you need a permit for a fence are based of the building code of Australia, but individual councils may have different bi laws and rules and regs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm guessing you're not in the brisbane city council area ( as they're open 24/7) but this is from their website, looks like it's a state issue over local council now.

http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/plann...ty-regulations

I'm a big advocate for pool safety however when it comes to portable pools I think it's an ask for forgiveness is cheaper and easier ( even of a fines issued)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Skye Baby View Post
    It's annoying when things are not really clear. I know that my councils requirements of when you need a permit for a fence are based of the building code of Australia, but individual councils may have different bi laws and rules and regs.
    The qld state gov has a copy of all bilaws online to check your local councils rules

Thanks
    Reviews
    The Brisbane City Council site is the clearest I've seen so far, thanks for that.