+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default gift free wedding

We have been invited to a casual wedding, when I say casual it is a ceremony followed by a party style reception.
    In their invitation they have said no gifts, as much as I want to respect that I do not feel right going to a wedding empty handed.
    I have purchased a card but after some advice. Would you go gift free, or would you bring a small something around $50 price range and if so what?
    Thank you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I asked for no gifts at my wedding, as everyone had to travel/ pay for accommodation. Some people bought gifts anyway, which was fine, but if they've said no gifts I wouldn't feel bad about turning up empty handed.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to LittleBug'sMum For This Useful Post:

winterbaby  (10-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleBug'sMum View Post
    I asked for no gifts at my wedding, as everyone had to travel/ pay for accommodation. Some people bought gifts anyway, which was fine, but if they've said no gifts I wouldn't feel bad about turning up empty handed.
    This.

We did similar- most guests for our wedding had to travel, plus we had pretty much everything house wise etc so didnt need anything so we asked for no gifts. Most people gave us cards with money/gift vouchers and some still gave us small items which of course we appreciated but didn't expect. We just wanted all those special people we care about to be part of our day- we wanted them for their PRESENCE, not their PRESENTS dont feel bad for turning up empty handed if they have said they dont want anything.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SheWarrior For This Useful Post:

winterbaby  (10-01-2015)

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Traditional etiquette would say that mentioning gifts at all on an invitation is poor form. Even when it's to say none!
    But I think it's kinda nice that the whole "your presence means more to us than your presents" is intended!

If I was you, I wouldn't get them a physical gift at all! It sounds like they're trying to avoid their house being filled with stuff! But here are some ideas I've seen or heard about that have gone down well.
    - gift voucher to go for a meal at a restaurant or cafe they love
    - gift voucher to the movies
    - if they have kids offer to babysit so they can go out.
    - invite them over for a meal before their honeymoon so they don't have to worry about cooking
    - take them out for dinner

It all depends on your budget!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to TheGooch For This Useful Post:

winterbaby  (10-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would respect the couples wishes and not bring a gift. There may be guests attending that are not able to afford anything and if people brought along gifts it might be awkward for them.

It's a beautiful gesture but I doubt the couple have put down no gifts if they actually meant for you to bring a gift IYKWIM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ra Ra Superstar For This Useful Post:

winterbaby  (10-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for your responces! If it was anything I'd probably give a voucher (thinking coles/myer) to not be "showing off" for other guests & can give discretely.(to be honest dh, myself and our kids (yes they are invited) besides the bride are the only people I really know there.
    I am just the sort of person who will be invited for dinner and will always bring a bottle of wine etc... so its difficult to not especially for a wedding. But I especially am grateful to read people who asked for no gifts were genuine with that request.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I think it's fine to just give a card with no gift, but if you want to offer a little something, you could make a donation to a charity on their behalf?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

winterbaby  (10-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I like the idea of a voucher, then you can slip it in with the card so it's not like your carrying a gift in when others aren't!