+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I would not declare your pregnancy because technically you do not have a dependent yet! So don't worry about that at all.

I would, however, be careful about the first home buyers grant/being a defacto couple. But like a PP said, if you don't plan on living together, then you're not in a defacto relationship and you don't need to state this. If you don't have shared bank accounts or other shared connections, he is simply just the father of your child and you're not living together - the way I see it you don't need to state that you are in a defacto relationship because you are not!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Lennon For This Useful Post:

Explora  (11-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep it's a grey area...
    We are a fairly new relationship (<12 months) and don't share any bank accounts. We won't be living together at the time of purchase and really don't have the ties of an established couple so I was thinking this would still make me eligible.

I am currently away for work but when I am back home on break I will make some calls and get a clear answer on my situation once and for all.

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    According to the eligibility criteria to receive the first home owners grant the state revenue office must be satisfied that you or your spouse has not previously owned property.

A spouse is someone who you are in a "domestic relationship" with.

So your eligibility for the grant depends on whether the state revenue office of Victoria considers you to be in a domestic relationship with your partner. If you are in a domestic relationship with him then you are ineligible for the grant.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    You can definitely still be in a de facto relationship even if you don't live together!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Hamilicious For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (11-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamilicious View Post
    You can definitely still be in a de facto relationship even if you don't live together!
    Not in Australia.

"A defacto relationship is where 2 people who are not married or in a registered relationship, live together as a couple. You are in a defacto relationship from the time you start living together as a couple."

OP, here is a link which defines a 'relationship' or 'partner' in Australia, legally!

http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/enablers/definition-of-a-partner

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Lennon For This Useful Post:

Explora  (11-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    That is for Centrelink purposes @Lennon. I think many "offices" have different definitions. Just saying @Explora it is probably best to talk directly with the state revenue office about your exact circumstances and be sure to document everything they tell you.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to KitiK For This Useful Post:

Explora  (11-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I'm well aware of the different pieces of legislation regarding de facto couples, trust me. And I stand by what I said. You don't have to be living together to be in a de facto relationship.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I bought a house at 36 weeks pregnant and never had an issue. My broker knew, my solicitor knew, our real estate agents knew. The bank didnt. Easy as and never had an issue

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MummaCat For This Useful Post:

Explora  (11-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ahh yes, you guys are correct. The legislation may differ when considering the first home buyers grant! Here is the definition of a spouse in regards to the grant:

http://www.treasury.nt.gov.au/TaxesR...aspx#header2-2

It's a little more grey than the Centrelink definition, but ultimately defines it as being in a marriage-like relationship at the time of application.

Here's a PDF with more detail about how they decide whether you are spouses or not!

http://www.treasury.nt.gov.au/PMS/Pu.../CG-HI-004.pdf

Definitely is a grey area as PPs suggested so definitely some consideration will be needed!

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lennon For This Useful Post:

Explora  (11-01-2015),KitiK  (11-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lennon View Post
    Ahh yes, you guys are correct. The legislation may differ when considering the first home buyers grant! Here is the definition of a spouse in regards to the grant:

http://www.treasury.nt.gov.au/TaxesR...aspx#header2-2

It's a little more grey than the Centrelink definition, but ultimately defines it as being in a marriage-like relationship at the time of application.

Here's a PDF with more detail about how they decide whether you are spouses or not!

http://www.treasury.nt.gov.au/PMS/Pu.../CG-HI-004.pdf

Definitely is a grey area as PPs suggested so definitely some consideration will be needed!
    The definitions you have provided appear to be from the treasury department of the northern territory. As far as I can tell the OP will be dealing with the office of state revenue in Victoria.

The Victorian Legislation does not use the word "de facto", they use spouse and partner and definitions for those terms are provided for under the Victorian Legislation.