+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Wdyt?

I am surprised that there isn't a thread on this already but what do you think about this story about parents giving their babies Melatonin that they've bought on the internet to help them sleep?

http://m.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/sleep-deprived-parents-drugging-babies-with-unprescribed-melatonin-pills/story-fnn8dlfs-1227180107005

Thanks
    Reviews
    Terrible. Personally I would never ever take any drug bought over the internet, let alone give it to my baby. It's unregulated and you have no idea if what you're buying is what you're getting, you don't even know if it's appropriate for your baby. It's been found that many internet drugs are not the real thing. It's so unsafe.

If parents are that desperate they need to seek out appropriate resources to help them, not resort to drugs unprescribed by their own doctor.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Pearlygirl For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (10-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Horrifying. Can you imagine if they sent the wrong thing? Do they know where they've been made? Are they up to safety standards? Were they made in a controlled environment? It's all just way too scary for me to comprehend.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree that it is a crazy, risky thing to do, but surely the people doing it realise this, and are at the end of their tether?
    I have had a couple of shocking sleepers at different times in their lives, I looked for help from my GP and MCHN and really got no help (I think maybe because I appeared to be coping) so I can kind of understand that people become desperate.
    I think in generations past it was Phenergan in the babies bottle to help them sleep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    And that doesn't even scratch the surface on everything that's wrong with it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think I would ever take anything from the Internet, and especially not give it to my child. There are better ways to manage the situation.

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    I googled this as I was dumbfounded that people would do this ...

but the first 3 links that come up suggest it is something that people do

http://www.sleephealthfoundation.org...d-Children.pdf

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2014/0...leep-solution/

http://www.sleepshack.com.au/sleepsh...and-teenagers/

It certainly doesnt sound that safe or well researched. In fact the 3rd link specifically comments

This lack of research on melatonin in kids means we do not know how common or severe side effects might be. We do know rare side effects from taking melatonin can include abdominal pain, more frequent seizures in kids with a history of them, hyperactivity, agitation, behavioral changes, worsening sleep patterns, nightmares and feelings of depression. More medical research is thus needed on children to ensure the side effect profile of melatonin is known, understood and safe.
    but I am surprised - it appears more widely used than I thought.

I realise people get desperate ... but it isnt something I would do unless directed by a paed. And CERTAINLY not with pills bought off the internet

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It's dangerous.

It's a valid medication option when prescribed and monitored.

But I've even seen parents on this forum recommend it, so I'd say people think it's harmless.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I don't care how sleep deprived they are. You don't buy pills off the Internet and give them to your baby. What other dumb decisions are these morons making. Call DOCS now!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I had no idea. I can't imagine why anyone would would do this let alone so many people, that it has become wide spread enough to spark attention from health departments. Utterly frightening.