+ Reply to Thread
Page 67 of 91 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Just wondering how long it takes you ladies to sew these Beautiful outfits? I am making ds some shorts. So far I would have spent 6h approx and it's still not done. Have at least another 45min I think. Sewing requires so much patience!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi ladies, just wondering if any of you are self taught, and how you went about learning? I would love to give it a go. It seems like it would be quite therapeutic, and I am dying to get creative again!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny Dancer For This Useful Post:

MissSparkles  (05-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Show me your sewing!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Dancer View Post
    Hi ladies, just wondering if any of you are self taught, and how you went about learning? I would love to give it a go. It seems like it would be quite therapeutic, and I am dying to get creative again!
    Yep all self taught. I just started off with some simple patterns you can also find some great diy videos on you tube.

Starting with stuff like bags or simple kids clothes is a good way to begin so you don't waste too much fabric if you mess it up.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

Tiny Dancer  (05-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dress I made for my DD1 - she picked the fabric
    1459809508364.jpg

I'm mainly self taught. Mum taught me basics of sewing and needlepoint as a kid. Used to make clothes for my barbies. Did a class in sewing at high school too.

For the above dress I used another dress as a template to draft a pattern for it.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Izzys Dragon For This Useful Post:

Kristyj  (10-04-2016),LaDiDah  (05-04-2016),TaylorMade  (05-04-2016),Tiny Dancer  (05-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You're all providing me with loads of inspiration. I'm actually getting a bit excited about the idea of a new hobby. The fact that you are both making such lovely things and are self taught gives me hope!

I'm going to have a look at some machines today. My birthday is in June.... a machine would make a great present I think. And I know that the machines are often 50% off in June (at spotlight at least and there's nowhere else for me to get one here). Any recommendations for machines for a beginner?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jontu View Post
    Those fabrics are gorgeous!
    Aren't they! I've made things with the teal & red one before and loved it, but the purple & green one has me itching to make something else with it now!

I'm pretty much self taught, my mum sewed our clothes when I was young so I learned a bit from her & did some sewing at school too.

I have a basic Brother machine that I'm pretty sure DH got for me from Spotlight, I didn't want to get overwhelmed with lots of functions to start off with. My advice when beginning is to pick patterns that use basic cotton (non-stretch) and lots of straight lines. Anything that comes with a tutorial (lots of patterns you can buy on etsy do) is a good bonus too. 😊

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TaylorMade For This Useful Post:

Jontu  (05-04-2016),Tiny Dancer  (05-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You're all providing me with loads of inspiration. I'm actually getting a bit excited about the idea of a new hobby. The fact that you are both making such lovely things and are self taught gives me hope!

I'm going to have a look at some machines today. My birthday is in June.... a machine would make a great present I think. And I know that the machines are often 50% off in June (at spotlight at least and there's nowhere else for me to get one here). Any recommendations for machines for a beginner?
    You will also find there are sales around mothers day so could be a bit of an early birthday present !

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Jontu For This Useful Post:

Tiny Dancer  (05-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

My mum helped me make one dress but other than that I just wing it - you tube tutorials have been my saviour when a pattern asks me to do something I don't understand!

With buying a machine, become a spotlight VIP member because they often send out vouchers which can make things soooo cheap. My machine was $199 down to $99 on special and I had a 40% off voucher - $200 sewing machine for $60!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Finally I have finished the shorts for ds! Omg it has taken me over 6h.
    I think it's too big but will have to wait for ds to wake up tomorrow morning to try it on.
    This is probably one of the most detailed things I have made! It's not clear on the pic but it has a faux fly front, side pockets, back pockets, belt loops.
    Turned out ok but waistband bit thick and the front and back center seams cover stitch don't line up.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Jontu; 05-04-2016 at 22:29.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jontu For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (01-05-2016),LaDiDah  (05-04-2016),TaylorMade  (05-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    And view from back.