+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default The No 1 Ladies Dectective Agency

Any other fans out there?

Our family has just done a "binge" watch of the first (and only) TV series. I so wish they would continue the story.

Has anyone read the books? How do they compare? I've been tossing up buying the series of books to get my fix. From what I can gather, the TV show covers about 3 or 4 of the books (if not more) so I worry the books might be really slow-moving.

Interested to hear what you think.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I love this show!! I wish they would've continued with it. I haven't read the books but have also been thinking about reading them but haven't gotten around to it.

My parents grew up close to where this is set and we have a lot of family back there still so we holiday there often and the setting and accents are so authentic, makes my mum so homesick!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mama Mirabelle For This Useful Post:

kbf2plus2  (10-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Another fan here! I've watched the show and read the books. It was about 4 years ago so I can't remember exactly what from the books was covered by the show. I definitely preferred the books though and would recommend them for sure!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BettyV For This Useful Post:

kbf2plus2  (10-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I love everything about it too. I love the characters, the accents, the names of the places (eg. "The Handsome Man's Go Go Bar") -- just LOVE it! And it's such light entertainment -- with a bit of drama, stuff that is LOL funny (at times) and no swearing or murder or sex, etc.

How exciting to be able to visit there!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for that BettyV. Might have to look into buying at least the first book (just to put my toe in the water, so to speak) and take it from there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I discovered yesterday that there is a series of kids books available too -- suit 9 - 10+ year olds, written by Alexander McCall Smith. From what I can gather they are stories about Precious when she is child and developing her detective skills. I showed my 9 year old daughter and she is keen to read them. So excited!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I lived and taught in Gaborone and was just down the road from Kgale Hill and the little area they filmed the series. Locals are so proud of it!

I have read about 10 of the books. They are kind of slow but still charming.