+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks to the helpful replies in this thread, we visited the library yesterday and borrowed 2 first readers. They are simple and repetitive eg "look said bear", "look said wolf" etc. they have a list of words to practice first and then You read the book.

My daughter loves them and I think she feels a sense of achievement because she can read them.

We will get some more when we go back to the library this week.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi OP, what Nomsie said is true! Those repetitive, rhyme/rhythm books are what early readers begin with. And often they are not reading, but instead memorising, looking at the pictures and predicting based on the text structure - but this is ALL part of early reading and how children learn to read!

The early reading behaviours that I focus on with emergent readers are pointing under the words with one-to-one correspondence, looking at the pictures to help decode, and thinking of what would make sense. A lot of people try to start with "sounding out" from the very beginning which isn't a very helpful reading strategy!

Kids who are read to regularly by an adult also tend to become fluent readers. They get to hear reading/have it modeled to them, and they learn a lot about storylines, characters and text types and structures which all helps.

I have actually never used Reading Eggs but SO many people rave about how great it is, so maybe give that a go as well!

Kudos to you for being so proactive with your daughters reading!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lennon View Post
    Hi OP, what Nomsie said is true! Those repetitive, rhyme/rhythm books are what early readers begin with. And often they are not reading, but instead memorising, looking at the pictures and predicting based on the text structure - but this is ALL part of early reading and how children learn to read!

The early reading behaviours that I focus on with emergent readers are pointing under the words with one-to-one correspondence, looking at the pictures to help decode, and thinking of what would make sense. A lot of people try to start with "sounding out" from the very beginning which isn't a very helpful reading strategy!

Kids who are read to regularly by an adult also tend to become fluent readers. They get to hear reading/have it modeled to them, and they learn a lot about storylines, characters and text types and structures which all helps.

I have actually never used Reading Eggs but SO many people rave about how great it is, so maybe give that a go as well!

Kudos to you for being so proactive with your daughters reading!
    Yes I agree, I think at this stage she is memorising the words and/or looking at the pictures to figure out what the words are, rather than sounding them out.

Im going to keep at it for a short time each day for the rest of the school holidays to give her a good base to grow from at pre primary.

Thanks
    Reviews
    One tip I got from my teacher friend was let the kids have 'wins' in reading when they first start. This builds up their confidence and gets them excited. So if the sentence is 'my dog likes me'. Mum reads the sentence first pointing to each word, then mum and child read the same sentence together then the child 'reads' it on their own. They think they're so clever and its a 'win'. Sounds like you're doing an awesome job OP!