+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Books for teaching my daughter to read

I am trying to help my daughter to learn how to read. We have done lots of work on letters, sounds and sight words. We are now moving on to reading simple books.

What are some books that would be appropriate for first time readers?

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Your local library should have some levelled readers you can borrow.
    Repetition and predictability are key in emergent readers.
    Eg
    I like to eat sushi
    I like to eat cake
    I like to eat fruit
    I like to eat pies
    I like to eat ham
    I like to eat food!

Completely boring isn't it? But the key is the repetition and predictability with only one word per page changing.

I actually don't know where you could buy readers from although I would suggest looking on eBay.

There is also the reading eggs program on the www you can pay a subscription for. Kids LOVE it, and it has exceptional content and is owned by the ABC

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Have you tried Reading Eggs?

But honestly, the best thing to do is just to read, read and read with your daughter a lot, let her see you reading too, encourage her to look at the illustrations and talk about what the story might be about. Talk about the text in books, eg where does it start, which direction does it follow etc etc.....ask her if there are any words she recognises, ask her to use her skills of prediction (what do you think will happen next?) and just have lots of fun and enjoyment together from reading and she will pick up that love and it will all go from there

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-biscotti For This Useful Post:

btmacxxx  (12-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Give her the gift of loving books and she'll pick it up in no time. Point out environmental text, read signs and posters together and don't force it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all the tips. We read 1 or 2 books every night, and do flash cards with letters and sight words. She loves it and asks to do more.

She has been reading the "I love..." Books, like I love holidays, I love Christmas and we are making progress I think. But some of the words are a bit advanced for her.

My husband and I always have a book on the go so she sees that reading is a big part of our lives. We visit the library a couple of times a week to borrow books and listen to story time. I will see if they have first readers.

How much is a subscription to reading eggs?

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    TeBe, how old is she?

Is she at school?
    I think it's about $80 for Reading Eggs but my two are at school and the school buys a school subscription and so the cost is much much less and we can access the program at home.
    Big W used to sell the book packs but I don't know if they still do, but if you have an ABC shop nearby, they will have them

Eta - http://readingeggs.com.au/pricing/

Thanks
    Reviews
    My daughter is 4, has completed Kindy and is going into pre primary this year. I know it's early for her to start reading but she loves it and is always pointing out words she knows and asking to do more sight word practice so I figure I might as well go for it while she is so keen.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    SUbbing. My dd is starting kindy this year. At orientation the teacher recommended Dr Seuss eg cat in the hat.

I have been doing sight words as well and today I joined some of the words dd knew and wrote sentences. She really liked this
    I also did sentences using our names which she found amusing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What age did you ladies start? My son is 2yr 7months and is only interested in turning the pages.

However with picture books he is aware of what's on the pictures.

I have given him an iPad with educational apps only and the reading app and it's good. The reading eggs app were half price last year, not sure if they still are. Hope so.

Good to know big w stock.

If you want value for money books, the post office have excellent choices and packs are vey cheap.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Nafsika For This Useful Post:

Jontu  (11-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dd started recognizing letters and family members names around 3y. She is 5 now and we have only just started doing sight words. I am using those words to make up sentences which she is able to read. She hasn't started reading books yet because I don't have any readers and the books we own have lots of words she doesn't know yet.
    I have been reading to her before naps and bed time since she was really young.

My ds is 3.5 and I haven't actively tried to teach him any letters or reading but he seems to have picked up some numbers and letters on his own. The only thing I am trying to teach him is to write his own name. He also likes to join in with what I am doing with dd so he will also try reading etc but often gets it wrong lol