+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How much time do you spend on outdoor maintenance/gardening?

Just trying to figure out if we have an especially high maintenance house! We have 3 kids and I spend so much time trying and failing to keep on top of housework and dp does little in the house but spends hours each weekend mowing, pruning, cleaning pool not to mention at least one trip to bunnings! I'm sure this isn't normal?!? This is our first house. We have lawn, pool, decks all seems to take such time I get no help inside and have to manage housework and 3 kids!! Not sure this is right place for this but I'm ready to move just scared to end up in the same place if I was delusional thinking there was such thing as free time with home ownership lol!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I spend around 1.5 hours a week on watering, trimming, picking sticks up etc.
    Dh mows every 3 weeks in spring. Less often in other months
    We probably should wash outside windows every couple of months but we don't.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I always make DH take the kids when he goes to Bunnings, most of them have a kids playground inside.
    I enjoy gardening and have a big vege garden, would spend an hour or two a week out there. DH probably spends similar amount of time, loves mowing the lawn, trimming trees etc. Also loves to go to bunnings regularly.
    That said he does help out a bit inside, usually cleans up after dinner while I'm putting kids to bed, occasionally will unpack dishwasher, put on/peg out load of washing. He also makes breakfast most mornings. Even with him doing all that I am constantly drowning in all the housework!
    Last edited by LittleBug'sMum; 09-01-2015 at 19:17.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Me -none
    DH
    Winter - 3 Hours every few weeks
    Summer - 3 hours every week

Thanks
    Reviews
    DH and I are in our first home, we have lived here for 2 years and we are CONSTANTLY doing maintenance and yard work! I feel like every weekend, or every second weekend at least, we have a trip to Bunnings and something we need to do outside - mowing, pest controlling, pruning, gardening, weeding, fixing up our fences, clearing fallen branches, painting or fixing! And that is just outside... our 'maintenance' list for inside is huge at the moment. The joys of home ownership...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yep we needed to do a couple of hours a week to maintain the garden. But we don't. So needless to say there are a lot of weeds that need pulling up. I flipping hate it. Too hot to garden on the Gold Coast!!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default How much time do you spend on outdoor maintenance/gardening?

Last edited by xyz987; 10-02-2016 at 20:42.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Damn it was hoping our house was unusually high maintenance 😞 baby has been awake since 5am and I've barely managed to clean kitchen not had one second to myself. Dp has been for a jog and been outside mowing. I don't want to mow but at least he's getting fresh air and break from kids. Oops just turned this into mummy moan! Sigh.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hubby does most of the outdoor stuff. We have a ride on mower so the mowing only takes 10-15mins and the edging prob the same amount.

While he whipper snips i go around picking up the kids toys and dogs stuff off the grass so he has a clear run

Thanks
    Reviews
    My husband was spending heaps of time mowing lawns and doing the edges. He also had to spend time maintaining the equipment eg the mower, the edger, etc. He was getting frustrated using his free time and energy on this sort of thing.

So we decided to get a lawn mowing service. He comes every 3 weeks all year round and costs $40.

We now don't have to have any equipment and my husband has some free time back.