+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Choosing an obstetrician

My husband and I are going to start trying soon for #1. I just wondered about how you choose an obstetrician:
    - is this something we should think about before TTC?
    - do certain GPs only refer to particular obs?
    - how do you actually pick an obstetrician? Can you go and pre-interview or something before getting locked in?
    - what questions should we be asking?

In my area it seems like whichever OB you ask about, people have had good and bad experiences so I just don't really know what I should be looking for or how early I would have to pick someone.

How did you all decide and how soon do you need to have all this worked out?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I asked friends and researched online and then made appointments with three and picked the one that we liked the best. I think GPs can refer to whichever you want. Who you pick depends on what your hopes are for the birth...if you want a section don't pick one that's very pro natural birth. I would say make sure you like and trust them as ultimately you will ge guided by them during your birth so you need to be 100% comfortable that they will do the right thing by both you and your baby. They do get booked up, we made appointments once I was 5 weeks pregnant. Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I chose to use my gp through the shared care system.
    I get along with her very well and was more than happy for her to share my pregnancy with her

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I'm lucky in that my DH is a nurse so knows who's well regarded and who's not. But I also asked friends and went with an Ob who was recommended by my friends and my DH.

Sent from my XT925 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazza78 View Post
    I chose to use my gp through the shared care system.
    I get along with her very well and was more than happy for her to share my pregnancy with her
    Kazza, can I ask how the 'shared care' system works and how to request it? Does it work out cheaper than going with a private OB from the beginning? Do all GPs do shared care? Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was pretty overwhelmed when I started thinking about choosing an ob. It's great nthat you're thinking about it early. I found I didn't really want to ask my friends for recommendations because I didn't want to tell them we were TTC. So I did lots of online research, bubhub was great. I had a fabulous recommendation from a bubhub friend (and that ended up being my ob), then I rang around and asked what their out of pocket fees were-that was important for us 😄
    I didn't go to see many because I clicked with the first one but I agree with @CitrusRain that if possible meet a few before you decide. Just keep in mind that could be expensive.. You could be up for $250 out of pocket for initial appointments.
    Good luck!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mambo For This Useful Post:

ExcuseMyFrench  (09-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    - is this something we should think about before TTC? YES the ones that are a great price and really good often book out really early. I contacted my oby the day I got my bfp. He was booked out when others tried to book him at 5 weeks.
    - do certain GPs only refer to particular obs? If your GP doesn't refer to who you want then go to someone who will. If you go to your GP and don't know who you want then they may have a few they prefer
    - how do you actually pick an obstetrician? I looked at the hospitals near me and started reading up on the oby ( most have blurbs) then picked an oby that fits in with what my ideals are

Can you go and pre-interview or something before getting locked in?
    I went for a pre pregnancy check up/ Pap smear and discussed with him

- what questions should we be asking?
    What's important to you,

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone! Yes I agree it is hard asking people because we haven't been that public about TTC so hard to ask friends for recommendations - and when we do ask or do some research there seem to be positives and negatives for all our local ones. Thanks for the tips on booking in early, and meeting a couple, I wasnt sure if you could do that or just had to kind of pick one and then stick to it because it would be too hard to switch.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I made my choice while TTC.

First I chose the hospital I wanted to birth at. Then I got the list of OBs that had admitting rights there. I called them all to ask about a breakdown of their fees.
    Based on this, I chose the cheapest and started gathering info on them (Google, bubhub and other forums).

When I got pregnant I booked an appointment with my two favourites, seeing my number 1 first. We clicked so I cancelled the other appointment

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

clucky_duck  (10-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    I made my choice while TTC.

First I chose the hospital I wanted to birth at. Then I got the list of OBs that had admitting rights there. I called them all to ask about a breakdown of their fees.
    Based on this, I chose the cheapest and started gathering info on them (Google, bubhub and other forums).

When I got pregnant I booked an appointment with my two favourites, seeing my number 1 first. We clicked so I cancelled the other appointment
    Good point, you can always book a few after your bfp ( just so you're on the books) then cancel