+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Night time toilet training - advice please

DD desperately wanted to start and wear undies to bed so we decided to give it a go. Had a week of taking her to the toilet before I went to bed and all was good - even had a few nights when she didn't wee at 10.30pm and didn't wet the bed.

Fast forward a month or so and I'm still taking her to the toilet before I go to bed but she's started to have accidents between 3 and 6am.

All of the above I can deal with, but what I'm finding is that the toilet trip at 10.30pm is leaving her tired during the day - like fall asleep on the car, massive illogical tantrums. She's a great sleeper (now - we did sleep school when she was a baby) so she doesn't wake when she needs the toilet but hates being woken. At 5yo she won't go for a day sleep. She's gone from happily playing with things to just floping around on the couch or bed wanting to watch TV and I know she's doing this cause she's tired.

Do I continue with the 10.30 toilet trips or give her a few days back in pull ups to give her a few full nights sleep and start again on Monday?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there . I would stop the toilet trips before you go to bed. It doesn't help with bladder training at all. There's no real training you can do at night time but just wait til their body is ready . My dd is older and still not night trained but we've discussed why and she is comfortable with the fact she has no control over when it will happen ( we have seen a Dr about it and discussed options for when my dd feels it's interfering or impacting on her confidence)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Do you actually wake her at 10.30pm and get her to walk to the toilet? Any chance you could just lift her out of bed and pop her on the toilet without actually really waking her? And then carry her back to bed.

If she's still wetting in the early hours I'd suggest stopping for a couple of weeks and then trying again maybe with a rewards chart.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunnybambino View Post
    Do you actually wake her at 10.30pm and get her to walk to the toilet? Any chance you could just lift her out of bed and pop her on the toilet without actually really waking her? And then carry her back to bed.

If she's still wetting in the early hours I'd suggest stopping for a couple of weeks and then trying again maybe with a rewards chart.
    I'm not really waking her, just enough not to frighten her as she startles, she seems to stay asleep (carry her to and from toilet) and can't remember the next morning that I took her. That's why I didn't think it was disturbing her too much but her tired cranky behaviour is getting worse and I'm worried she will start school tired.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mapalesa View Post
    Hi there . I would stop the toilet trips before you go to bed. It doesn't help with bladder training at all. There's no real training you can do at night time but just wait til their body is ready . My dd is older and still not night trained but we've discussed why and she is comfortable with the fact she has no control over when it will happen ( we have seen a Dr about it and discussed options for when my dd feels it's interfering or impacting on her confidence)
    Thank you.

I think I will put her in a nappy (don't have pull ups left but will get some tomorrow) and see how she is with a good nights sleep. I hate seeing her yawn so much and be so lethargic, I don't think it's anything other than being disturbed at night - heavens knows I hate it when I am.

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    hi icandream, you haven't said how old your daughter is? the general rule of thumb, if the child can sleep dry, then you can start daytime toilet training. im wondering if you have started too early for your littleone?? you can also limit the drinks before bed, like nothing 2 hours before bed.?? marie.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would definitely stop taking her to the toilet. Her sleep is way more important than middle of the night toilet trips. As pp has mentioned it doesn't actually help with bladder training anyway. I wouldn't do a reward chart either because it's beyond their control, and I imagine it would just be upsetting for your DD.
    My oldest wanted to wear undies to bed at 5, but she wasn't ready until she was 8. We just had to keep explaining to her that it was normal and her body just wasn't ready...explaining that we can't control our body when we're asleep.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

ICanDream  (09-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @SuperGranny its in my original post - she is 5yo. Been fully day time trained since she was 3yo.

Yes we limit drinks before bed, she goes to the toilet before bed etc but just isn't staying dry. I don't care about the accidents, thank heavens for washers and dryers, it's more the impact the disturbance of her sleep on her energy that I'm concerned with.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ICanDream For This Useful Post:

SuperGranny  (09-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Party of Three View Post
    I would definitely stop taking her to the toilet. Her sleep is way more important than middle of the night toilet trips. As pp has mentioned it doesn't actually help with bladder training anyway. I wouldn't do a reward chart either because it's beyond their control, and I imagine it would just be upsetting for your DD.
    My oldest wanted to wear undies to bed at 5, but she wasn't ready until she was 8. We just had to keep explaining to her that it was normal and her body just wasn't ready...explaining that we can't control our body when we're asleep.
    Thanks for the way in which you explained it to your DD, I've been trying but I think your words might be better than mine. She's so keen bless them!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also, research now shows that there is no benefit to restricting fluids before bed...something about it actually making it worse. I do talk to my kids about drinking enough throughout the day so they're not guzzling water at bed time but otherwise they can drink to thirst.