+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    meh thats just stirring.

After the killing in France all media are talking about the 2-3 terrorists guilty of the attack. Not of the 2-3 Muslims.
    Maybe on France news it's different?

The second killing in France has had a lot less coverage here.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

ExcuseMyFrench  (09-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Thoughts on this tweet?

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Well since I posted it to my facebook page, I obviously agree with it! ������

A lot of minorities get tarred with the same brush but when it's white men, they are individuals.

Take a look at how Australians generally view Aboriginal people. It's not positive. One aboriginal person commits a crime, the whole race is bad.

An extremist kills people in a cafe, a whole religion is blamed.

A refugee gee gets arrested, send them all back etc.

Seriously, you just have to read ignorant comments on facebook news sites to see that.
    I usually try not to read the comments below news articles because I know I'm always just going to get frustrated and overall saddened by how many people think.

I read a great article the other day posted by the American Today Show by a black journalist who had a son just diagnosed with autism. The article was mainly about his fear for his son when he gets older, being a black male that will most likely be unable to respond and communicate to a police officer in an 'appropriate way' and the police officer reading it as a danger and harming him, obviously a fear in response to the Ferguson and Eric Garner incidents in the states. It was really interesting and I totally felt that right now, as a father of an African American, male toddler that had just been diagnosed with a disability known to cause people not to behave in a 'typical' way, that his fears were understandable in this current society. Some of the comments below were infuriating. I genuinely wish I hadn't read them, the lack of ignorance and just unkindness among some people is sickening.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 09-01-2015 at 18:39.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (09-01-2015),btmacxxx  (10-01-2015)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Thunderdaks do you have a link to that article? It sounds fascinating.

Hope you're feeling better btw x

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (09-01-2015),VicPark  (09-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I think the tweeter is a bit of a twit. With the Sydney and Paris attacks I haven't really heard anyone having a crack at 'all' Muslims.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    Thunderdaks do you have a link to that article? It sounds fascinating.

Hope you're feeling better btw x
    I just 'LOL-ed' all over myself.

Should this be my new signature ⚡👖? Or this 💩👖?

I'll try to find the article.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I think the tweeter is a bit of a twit. With the Sydney and Paris attacks I haven't really heard anyone having a crack at 'all' Muslims.
    I think, fortunately, the attitudes and stereotypes towards these racial/religious groups is gradually changing. The 'illridewithyou' hashtag demonstrates this - intelligent, compassionate people know that the whole Islam religion is not to blame for lone terrorist attacks. However, there are still a large number of people who are racist or small-minded folk and believe what this tweet is saying. I know of people who have said things like 'This is why Islam has no place in Australia' etc. It's still pretty prevalent, as sad as that is.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    Just got to look at the massacre in Cairns compared to the murder-suicide of the family in rural NSW.

The woman in Cairns was indigenous - so really what did we expect? We all know that indigenous people can't be good parents *sarcasm*.

The man in rural NSW just wasn't coping and really loved his family and was a good farmer/father/man.
    Im sorry but those are two completely different circumstances. If a white woman got off her face on ice and massacred eight children people would be equally as disgusted-probably even more so. This whole thread would be about who had the sharpest pitchfork rather then picking apart the racial implications.

And Im pretty sure killing eight children takes you out of the running of the good parent award.

The murder suicide was just as awful, and i believe there was a thread where many doubted this situation. Its not like he was hailed a hero.

If your seeing that many posts and comments being racist then you need to rethink your friends list. I havnt seen anything remotely racist on Facebook in recent events. Only messages of solidarity.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I think to some extent it's sh1t stirring. I think it's also making very complex issues appear black and white and able to be explained easily. Finally, as a white, middle-class, educated, privileged Aussie - I find it somewhat insulting. *I* don't have those sentiments and I don't appreciate it when I am generalised to be an ignorant Mudoch-loving redneck.

I wrote a long post in the other thread about differences between terrorism in the name of Islam and other acts of violence.

Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    I agree, in this context it is definitely accurate. But I do think it's quite a common sentiment in (particularly) social media to blame Islam as a whole. Just read comments under any news.com.au stories for proof of that :-) it's a default response.
    No!!!! Don't read the comments on a news.com.au site!!! Don't subscribe to the page on FB!! Read the ABC, SBS, BBC, SMH but DON'T read news.com.au - it makes you lose brain cells!!!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

SAgirl  (09-01-2015),TheGooch  (09-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Thoughts on this tweet?

Quote Originally Posted by brooketobub View Post
    If your seeing that many posts and comments being racist then you need to rethink your friends list. I havnt seen anything remotely racist on Facebook in recent events. Only messages of solidarity.
    It's not usually people you're friends with, at least for me it's not. It's usually the comments at the bottom of articles that are either reposted by friends or posted by a news agency I follow. So they're comments by people you do not know at all that are commenting on a public article.

⚡👖

14. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

meredithgreyxxx  (10-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Busy-Bee View Post
    I think to some extent it's sh1t stirring. I think it's also making very complex issues appear black and white and able to be explained easily. Finally, as a white, middle-class, educated, privileged Aussie - I find it somewhat insulting. *I* don't have those sentiments and I don't appreciate it when I am generalised to be an ignorant Mudoch-loving redneck.

I wrote a long post in the other thread about differences between terrorism in the name of Islam and other acts of violence.

No!!!! Don't read the comments on a news.com.au site!!! Don't subscribe to the page on FB!! Read the ABC, SBS, BBC, SMH but DON'T read news.com.au - it makes you lose brain cells!!!
    Still see plenty of ignorant, bigoted comments on abc, sbs and smh