+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Additive free snacks to buy?

I'm trying to start an additive free diet for my 2yo. I find she has a very short fuse and was wondering if the snacks I'm feeding her is affecting her behavior. Doing some google searches I'm finding some snacks I regularly buy are surprisingly bad news. Such as Rice Wheels - I thought they'd be better than chips but apparently plain salted chips are better. Twix bars are additive free... who knew?? Packaged custard and yoghurts are no good.
    I can see this will be hours of research but I was wondering if anyone has some go to supermarket snacks they are additive free. Hoping someone can help get me started on what might totally change the dynamic of our family

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    sorry, just subbing

TimTamsandTea is offline ...if only all relationships were so perfectly sweet!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Try additivefreepantry.com.au

I have Tanya's shopping guide which makes shopping much much easier. Grab yourself a copy of The Chemical Maze as well.

If the books are not in your budget, she's on Facebook and certainly worth following to get you started on your additive free journey.

It's daunting but worth it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Honestly there is not a lot, especially if you want to keep them low in sugar and salt as well , I mainly buy some cookies , sultanas and kale chips from my local organic store (happy baby puffs were great when he was younger) as snacks if we are going out for the day otherwise at home it's mainly :

fruit and raw veggies
    air popped pop corn
    rice cakes ( plain brown 100% rice) with avocado or 100% peanut or almond butter
    Vita wheat multigrain rice crackers ( these are the only additive free ones, even the vita wheat plain rice crackers are no good) with tzatiki or guacamole
    Mini baby bel cheese ( original)
    Jalna vanilla yogurt
    Freeze dried fruit
    Organic corn chips and homemade quacamole
    Pretzels as a sometimes treat ( additive free but has high salt)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

BornToBe  (09-01-2015),ThenThereWereThree  (08-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sub

Thanks
    Reviews
    There is a isle in Coles and woollies that have additive free snacks I get a lot of DS's snacks from there when I want something to pack in his lunch box and I've recently found in the dairy section crackers and cheese slices and little cheese bars for children that are preservative free but I can't remember the name of them.

Also the blog 'cut out the crap' has heaps of good ideas

And the website fedup.com.au which gives you what numbers to avoid when buying foods and also has lists of foods that are additive free

Also additive free pantry is a good site and there also on Facebook they do a lot of comparisons of snacks and what has what in it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I like the root vegetable chips, though they would be high in salt.
    If I need something fast and am near the supermarket I grab pieces of fruit, organic vegetables (carrots) or some nice cheese slices (I like the nimbin natural ones).