+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I mostly buy Clarks Mary Janes for the formal and Clarks for the Sports shoes, however, last year I ended up buying my eldest daughter Clarks for the Mary Jane and Betts Air Flex for the sports and was quite happy with the Betts as my daughter has to wear Orthotics and they were very accommodating to this (like the Clarks are).

This year I had to buy my dd who is starting grade one, Mary Janes and was all set to buy her Clarks like I've always bought her sister, however, she didn't like the feel of them when she was test walking them and she asked for the Lynx instead. I have never bought Linx before, so it will be interesting to see if these last as well as the Clarks and Betts have.

The shop assistant did tell me that with Mary Janes, make sure the soul is a 'sports' soul, as the smooth, rounder souls (usually found on Clarks) don't last as long with all the wear and tear the kids do throughout the year.

I love Clarks, but I do find all year I am polishing them to no avail, as the actual leather upper scuffs off.

I buy Clarks from Myers, especially when they have the 30% off sale and this year I bought the Lynx from Williams . The Betts I bought from Betts Kids.
    Last edited by Mod-Uniquey; 09-01-2015 at 11:28.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pianolady View Post
    I will be shopping for shoes in the next week or so, so reading this thread. With 3 in school shoes, and also 2 needing runners also, cheaper is the order of the day. What options are there that are cheaper than the recommened brands?
    Look for thick rubber soles, a soft insole and make sure they fit properly. I found looking for cheaper leather shoes that some of them feel really stiff and flimsy. You can tell they're not good for a growing foot. Also, go laces if you can. The biggest complaint I've heard about cheaper shoes is the velcro doesn't last.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Last year was DS1's first year and we bought Lynx as we expected him to go through shoes a bit quicker. We'd never bought Lynx before as he's mainly worn Clarks and Asics. He only started playing sport at school in term 3 so the shoes lasted all year. My main gripe about them is that they are the wrong shoe for his foot as his is quite narrow and they were too loose that way as they seemed to 'give' over the course of the year.

This year we're trialling one child with Ascent and one child with New Balance. Will be interesting to see which brand we will end up preferring after we've tried them all. Our school just wears the black joggers.

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I went shopping today and got Clarks Sian which apparently have a scuff resistant toe and some Clarks sneakers. Cost a bomb but fingers crossed they are good and we get plenty of wear out of them.

Does anybody know if this scuff resistant toe really does resist scuffing?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialPatrolGroup View Post
    I went shopping today and got Clarks Sian which apparently have a scuff resistant toe and some Clarks sneakers. Cost a bomb but fingers crossed they are good and we get plenty of wear out of them.

Does anybody know if this scuff resistant toe really does resist scuffing?

Sent from my G
    T-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    IME it causes the front to chip off, not scuff...so they are pretty well impossible to polish. However, it was a different brand so Clarks may be better for that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I bought Clark Mary Jane style and a pair of nikes. Clarks lasted the whole year but she outgrew the nikes and had to fork out for another pair.

Her Clarks still fit her but I'm not sure if I should buy her another pair anyway? I want them to still be comfy.

I'm also getting her a pair of Asics as her sport shoes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    I got New Balance for DS1 in Prep - they were $80 and he had destroyed them in 2 terms. He is exceptionally hard on shoes though, they never last long.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'd like to follow too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I went looking yesterday. Payless have a deal on. Grosby Mary Janes are on sale for $30-40 and 2nd pair of shoes half price so you can get 2 pairs for about $60 I guess.

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mmumm View Post
    I went looking yesterday. Payless have a deal on. Grosby Mary Janes are on sale for $30-40 and 2nd pair of shoes half price so you can get 2 pairs for about $60 I guess.
    Eeee, I paid a lot more than that . Oh well, thanks for the heads up, I will look there next year (I am being optimistic that I won't be buying school shoes for another year.)