+ Reply to Thread
    TimTamsandTea is offline ...if only all relationships were so perfectly sweet!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Before and after school routines - any tips?

So my first little one is off to school this year and, in the spirit of being organised, I'm putting some thought into what our mornings and afternoons might look like.

I'm looking for any tips on how to make our mornings run smoothly and how to ensure our afternoons strike the balance between preparing for the next day and allowing ds1 adequate wind down time.

Any and all ideas welcome. Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't do anything special. I just get everything ready the night before. Lunches packed and in fridge, uniforms laid out (including socks and hair bands), bags by the door, shoes polished. If I'm working the next day this includes stuff for me too. If the next day is different eg library day or homework due then I make sure it's all packed the night before.

Then after the actual breakky, teeth, dressed routine in the morning, all I have to do is put the ice pack inside the lunch cooler bags, put in bag with drink bottle.

DS has a check list stuck to the fridge so he can see what needs doing next.

After school, it's uniforms off and in dirty clothes basket, they put their lunch containers above the dishwasher and as they sit down to arvo tea I make their lunches for the next day. Easy.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to My Beloved Ones For This Useful Post:

TimTamsandTea  (08-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I pack lunches, get uniforms ready, pack school bagd etc the night before. In the mornings they get up, have a shower (depending how early they are up), get breakfast and get dressed. If they have enough time they can watch tv.

In the afternoon we get home, they get changed, have a snack, do homework and then play until dinner, then its bath and quiet play/watch a movie until bed time.

After they have gone to bed is when I get everything ready for the following day.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SheWarrior For This Useful Post:

TimTamsandTea  (08-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have 4 kids, this year will be 3 in school and 1 in daycare. I work, but in school hours). I do everything for the next day the night before (even down to putting socks and shoes out) they wake up, have breakfast, get dressed and put their lunch and homework/reader satchels in their bag. Then they do their morning chores. Once they ate ready to go they can watch tv/play Ipad etc while I get ready (and if there is time)

In the afternoon it's home, uniforms off, shoes in shoe rack, homework and lunchbags out and bags put away in bag nook. They then have 1 hr to wind down and have afternoon tea. Then we sit and do homework/readers.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Beljane For This Useful Post:

TimTamsandTea  (09-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also have a white board downstairs that I list the school days and put on it what uniforms on what days, Library, swimming, show and tell, permission slips due, excursions etc, I wipe it clean and start it again on a Sunday for the following week.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Beljane For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Oh and i have one of those family calendars that has individual columns for each person. I use it for EVERYTHING, much like what pp does with the white board. I like it because i can see the month as a whole, see what is on/to be done when.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to SheWarrior For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Subbing.
    Can I ask exoerienced mums what time do you get home, do the kids do homework themselves, how about getting dinner ready??
    I am starting to worry about how I will juggle full time work and dd in school, will she be too tired to do homework after dinner and bath...

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Jontu For This Useful Post:

TimTamsandTea  (10-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Before and after school routines - any tips?

Quote Originally Posted by Jontu View Post
    Subbing.
    Can I ask exoerienced mums what time do you get home, do the kids do homework themselves, how about getting dinner ready??
    I am starting to worry about how I will juggle full time work and dd in school, will she be too tired to do homework after dinner and bath...
    I get home anywhere from 4 pm onwards (I'm a teacher so depends what I have in terms of meetings or parents seeing me but usually we get home early). My DS1 (6yrs) does homework mainly on his own unless he gets stuck on something. I'm usually getting dinner ready beside him as he does this. So he reads the question or show me his book and I can help him that way. If I plan to go to the gym with a crèche I cook ahead on weekends and give the boys frozen meals I've reheated.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Theboys&me For This Useful Post:

Jontu  (10-01-2015),TimTamsandTea  (10-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am lucky to be able to pick up from school and be home by 3.30pm. When I was working full time I requested homework be done at OSHC so I just had to do dinner when we got home (which was close to 6pm)

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beljane For This Useful Post:

Jontu  (10-01-2015),TimTamsandTea  (10-01-2015)