+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    At first, when reports of the Charlie hebdo came out, they mentioned 3 gunmen. After a while a name emerged on twitter as one of the 3 gunmen. Turned out this dude was at school at the time, so he turned himself in later that night after seeing his name everywhere in the media etc.
    His name got cleared.

It was a major journo brain fart..
    That happened during the boston bombings but I think it was Reddit or buzzfeed that made the mistake. When they released photos of the suspects somebody found a photo of a missing student around the area that looked similar. Wasn't him, he had actually committed suicide before the bombings but wasn't found until after. So sad that his family had to deal with him missing, his name being dragged through the mud and then being gone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    So there is now another hostage situation in Paris. Another gunman, linked to the first two, who killed a police woman yesterday, has taken at least 5 hostages (incl women and kids) in a bakery
    Awful.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    So there is now another hostage situation in Paris. Another gunman, linked to the first two, who killed a police woman yesterday, has taken at least 5 hostages (incl women and kids) in a bakery
    The deli dude who killed the policewoman is dead
    http://www.9news.com.au/world/2015/0...ooting-reports

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yes along with 4 Jew hostages. He said he was targeting Jews.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    The deli dude who killed the policewoman is dead
    http://www.9news.com.au/world/2015/0...ooting-reports
    Unfortunately so are 4 hostages.

I just hope the senseless killing is finished.

I don't know who said it first but I like that quote of "if your religion requires you to kill people then start with yourself".

What a nightmare.

Yes along with 4 Jew hostages. He said he was targeting Jews.
    Yeah, I didn't want to speculate but I wondered if there was a specific reason why he picked a Kosher supermarket.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by crankyoldcow View Post
    I'm confused.

In the original attack on the staff at the magazine - were there two or three gunmen?

There were two brothers who then took a hostage at the printing office. Was the third one the the guy who took hostages at the Kosher deli? or was he unrelated to the original incident? Is the third gunman from the magazine attack still on the loose? Or were initial reports on the magazine shooting incorrect and were there only the two brothers as gunmen?

I've read a few conflicting news reports and can't work it out.
    They haven't confirmed all the details yet. But it is not sure whether a 3d gunmen was at the attack on CH.

The other killed terrorist today was from the same "network" than the other two and committed his attacks/killings based on the Charlie Hebdo attack. It's unsure yet if they coordinated themselves or not. They knew each other though.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

HappyBovinexx  (10-01-2015)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    I keep waiting for a huge street March from an Islamic community somewhere around the world denouncing these attacks. And it's not happening, which is challenging everything I value and defend during these times :-(

This world is a scary place atm.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    I keep waiting for a huge street March from an Islamic community somewhere around the world denouncing these attacks. And it's not happening, which is challenging everything I value and defend during these times :-(

This world is a scary place atm.
    I'm happy enough with the response of the local Islamic community. Friday I think there was an Islamic leader in the Today show. He was awesome. Basically saying no matter what was printed there is no justification for this. He said he found it funny that terrorists are complaining about cartoons depicting terrorist killing Mohammed when that's infact what the terrorist are doing: killing Islam. He was very level headed.

If I was a Muslim at the moment I wouldn't want to take part in any large public gatherings - too many red neck yobbo's out there. And look at that poor Muslim bride who put flowers down at Martin Place - the grief she copped on social media with people saying she was just trying to get attention was a disgrace.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    You're right. I suppose I was thinking about what can be done to stop these sorts of people, and all I could think was a very clear 'don't do these things in my name' sort of thing from people that they might actually respect.

But then I thought about the Westboro Uniting Church, and no amount of Christian protests could change their beliefs... It just makes me so sad, and the wider impact on the Muslim community is just awful.