+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennaisme View Post
    Well there was Helen...
    But wasn't it the blokes who started up the 1000 ships to seek vengeance? (Greek Mythology is not my strongest subject though.)

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    a different article I read before that one stated that police were looking for a Caucasian male with a "faithful" tattoo on his face
    I think they can describe someone in such circumstances but couldn't put their religion. If the police were searching for someone I would assume the media could print something like "approximately 175cm tall, black hair, of middle eastern dissent, last seen wearing ABC" as opposed to "approximately 175cm tall, Muslim, last seen wearing ABC" because it's rather meaningless and perpetuates stereotypes.

Any journos out there who can clarify??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Busy-Bee View Post
    But wasn't it the blokes who started up the 1000 ships to seek vengeance?
    Meh, depends on the story and the perspective. She's known as the woman whose face launched a thousand ships.

I love the story of Helen of Troy. Hehe.

Sorry. Will bow out of the thread now.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jennaisme For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (14-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Check out what an Irish satirical media source did in response:

imrs.php.jpg

Funny, but kind of sad and scary too.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Phony  (16-01-2015),snowqu33n  (15-01-2015),Starfish30  (15-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Shocked. They attacked and killed 11ppl at a newspaper office in Paris

Thought this was interesting since the Pope has been used as an example of somebody accepting ridicule of his religion (and himself). But obviously note that he is in no way condoning the attacks or saying they were justified or should have been expected.

http://news.yahoo.com/pope-charlie-h...121639260.html

Eta: and I do kind of agree with the points that there are subjects in society we don't tolerate in regards to freedom of speech (ie hate speech, Holocaust denial, etc).
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 16-01-2015 at 05:22.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    The Catholics have sued CH more than once...

Of course they ridicule religions they are very strongly atheist.

It's ok for Catholics, Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, to be upset by CH cover.
    As an atheist, I'm upset when I hear the things that are said in churches etc.

But that's freedom of speech. France is a secular country, that's part of our core beliefs.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

FiveInTheBed  (16-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    Thought this was interesting since the Pope has been used as an example of somebody accepting ridicule of his religion (and himself). But obviously note that he is in no way condoning the attacks or saying they were justified or should have been expected.

http://news.yahoo.com/pope-charlie-h...121639260.html

Eta: and I do kind of agree with the points that there are subjects in society we don't tolerate in regards to freedom of speech (ie hate speech, Holocaust denial, etc).
    Whilst the current pope is a breath of fresh air I have to disagree with him about this issue. The nature of free speech means people have the freedom to offend and ridicule. In saying that people should 100% be accountable for what they are saying - specifically if you're telling porky-pies or misleading information. If you're going to deny the holocaust be prepared to be told you're a f-wit who blatantly ignores facts for their own, racist agenda.

When it comes to 'insulting or ridiculing someone's faith', again there are no surprises that I strongly disagree. There is every reason to point out inconsistencies, hypocrisies, immoralities, implausible and scientific impossibilities that are purported by religions. If we didn't do this then the enlightenment would have never happened. In staying that my criticism of religion is directed at the actual institution and not at a person.

More strife in Belgium.
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-01-1...elgium/6020304

Belgian counter-terrorism raid: Two killed, one arrested in eastern town of Verviers

Belgian police have killed two men who opened fire on them during one of about a dozen raids against a group that was about to launch "terrorist attacks on a grand scale".Federal prosecutors said a third man was arrested during the operation in the eastern town of Verviers, between the city of Liege and the German border.
    They said they had not established a direct connection to last week's attacks in Paris. No police were injured in the operation.
    "The suspects immediately and for several minutes opened fire with military weaponry and handguns on the special units of the federal police before they were neutralised," said prosecutor Eric Van Der Sypt.
    "It was an investigation into a terrorist cell of people who had just returned from Syria.
    "This group was just about to do some terrorist operations in Belgium."
    Local media said gunshots and several explosions were heard on a residential street near a railway station in the town's centre.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

snowqu33n  (16-01-2015),Starfish30  (16-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    The pope is in his role... He's the boss of a major religion of course he's say one shouldn't ridicule his business.

The Belgium actions happening are a consequence of the investigation into Paris attacks...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (16-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Something's happening again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It's awful. So scary.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Shocked. They attacked and killed 11ppl at a newspaper office in Paris

From what I've read at least 60 confirmed dead and 100 in a hostage situation.
    Last edited by azelqra; 14-11-2015 at 09:49.