+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I like that idea of quiet time anyway 😞

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    i think the quite time is very important. doesn't matter so much if they actually sleep, but just to have a wind down time, in front of the tv, or with some quite reading to them. nafsika, I think your little one is overtired and that all the energy is actually not energy, but him saying, I need someone to calm me down. even if a toddler stops sleeping in the afternoon, or through the day, I think they do still need to be settled. my girls would go two or three days without the daytime nap, but by the third or forth day, they would just crash. my grandson (3yr) he will keep going all day, and not be looking like he is tired, but if you sit him quietly on the couch with a movie or a book, he will be asleep in 10 mins. As for toddlers being a little jealous of the newborn, that is normal and everyone should be atleast aware that it will happen sometimes. I would try to make some time for the older child, and encourage their help, even if you have to redo whatever they helped you with, like folding the washing. loco, I understand the feeling of not wanting to get up in the morning until you know how your little one is going to be. you can only control your own mood, so a lot of the day will be a reaction to your choices. I found with my kids as they got older, if I was cranky things got so far out of hand., but if I didn't react badly, then things stayed ok. its a balancing act, it really is. hugs, marie.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperGranny For This Useful Post:

Leighlu  (12-01-2015),LoCo  (12-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks marie✌️ both girls are day napping as I type this for the first time in a week. I said let's watch a movie and have some quiet time before going to the park and miss toddler was asleep within 10 mins. I wonder if she still needs her day naps🙉 her behaviour started to become unbearable since dropping the day naps.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You might find that as she transitions out of day naps she still needs one a couple of times a week. My 5 year old stopped day naps at 18 months, but he will still fall asleep in the car. Sometimes it's as early as 10am but he will ask people to not talk to him because he wants to go to sleep, and he crashes within a few minutes. He rarely sleeps at home but when his behaviour is difficult I get him to watch a movie or something, so his body relaxes for a while. Then he is usually better.
    At three years of age you'll probably struggle to get her to have a nap every day, but quiet time when they are transitioning out of the day nap is really important. You want to make it something really calm and quiet for them so they can crash if they need to. I used to send my oldest to her room to play quiet games for an hour by herself. Sometimes she'd just crash out on the floor, other times she'd quietly tear the room apart Alternatively you could have reading time on her bed for half an hour or so.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (12-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Party of Three View Post
    You might find that as she transitions out of day naps she still needs one a couple of times a week. My 5 year old stopped day naps at 18 months, but he will still fall asleep in the car. Sometimes it's as early as 10am but he will ask people to not talk to him because he wants to go to sleep, and he crashes within a few minutes. He rarely sleeps at home but when his behaviour is difficult I get him to watch a movie or something, so his body relaxes for a while. Then he is usually better.
    At three years of age you'll probably struggle to get her to have a nap every day, but quiet time when they are transitioning out of the day nap is really important. You want to make it something really calm and quiet for them so they can crash if they need to. I used to send my oldest to her room to play quiet games for an hour by herself. Sometimes she'd just crash out on the floor, other times she'd quietly tear the room apart Alternatively you could have reading time on her bed for half an hour or so.
    This.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to lilypily For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (12-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Party of Three View Post
    Wow thank you for this useful info! Looks like I've found another solution thank you thank you.

She just woke up so happy and surprisingly well mannered. This morning she was terrible. 🙉

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by LoCo View Post
    Thanks marie✌️ both girls are day napping as I type this for the first time in a week. I said let's watch a movie and have some quiet time before going to the park and miss toddler was asleep within 10 mins. I wonder if she still needs her day naps🙉 her behaviour started to become unbearable since dropping the day naps.
    My 3yo is a nightmare by evening time if he doesn't sleep.

Not all kids are the same but as long as he needs it I will try and get him to sleep (he loves his sleep anyway, lucky me).

HTH

11. The Following User Says Thank You to misho For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (12-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by LoCo View Post
    Wow thank you for this useful info! Looks like I've found another solution thank you thank you.

She just woke up so happy and surprisingly well mannered. This morning she was terrible. ������
    The book I mentioned earlier (Children are People Too) talked about how there is no point disciplining a tired child...you have to deal with the tiredness. I can't remember all the details but it really did help me to understand my child's behaviour, and gave me great coping mechanisms for dealing with it.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (12-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm having the exact same problems with my DS and it is so comforting to know that others are in my boat with me. I have been in tears everyday lately not knowing what to do anymore. Tonight after his bath DS refused to get dressed he was naked for a good 45min before he finally agreed to put on his PJ's and have his stories. Thankfully he went to sleep quickly and peace reined again. Everyday lately I wake up and promise myself I will not yell at him today but he just infuriates me so much, constantly touching things and not listening that by mid morning life is hell again. He started back at daycare today so I hope things improve now that his routine is getting back to normal.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to WiseOldOwl For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (12-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't read all the replies but have you heard of the triple P parenting program, it's about being a positive parent and gives you tools to adjust behaviour, it covers rewards, time out & quiet time and adjusting behaviour by example amongst lots of other stuff. They encourage both parents to do it together, might be something to look at if your DH is having trouble with discipline and setting a good example re swearing etc.
    DH and I did it and it really helped put us on the same page and I found that DH became a lot more supportive when it came to discipline, our local CHN organised it for us

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Wheaty For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (12-01-2015)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast