+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Following!! Some good advice in this thread.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to debsch For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (08-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I just wanted to say I have a 3 year old who sounds exactly like your daughter. You are certainly not the only one! Subbing this thread for ideas...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jussi For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (08-01-2015)

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    hi loco. this is a whole learning curve. everyday can be something new. certainly every age brings new challenges. I did have to change tactics with my different children, but basically it was the same routine. certain behaviours were never allowed. remember that you are wanting to change the behaviour, not change the child. you don't want to force the child to be someone they are not. example, make a shy child into a party princess, or make a spirited child into a doormat., but within reason, you need to be happy with how your child behaves in public and at home. and that about sums it all up. hugs, marie.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SuperGranny For This Useful Post:

Farmboys  (11-01-2015),LoCo  (11-01-2015),WiseOldOwl  (12-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Very interesting thread.
    My 2yr 7 month old is a little like this, his become really bad at the shops, he runs off or just lays on the floor. My hubby doesn't think we need a double stroller, but I'm 100% sure we do.
    At home his ok, he gets a little jelouse with his baby sister. It's hard to divide your time.

I've raised my voice also. Doesn't help, he does it back. I don't think the sticker reward will help as he will go and tear it up.

His still not talking much, but understands a lot. His also into the hitting stage.

Sometimes I wonder if he has an issue. In the late afternoon it's hard to control him he just becomes sooooo hyperactive? Too much energy.

I try to read to him,teach him, not intetested. Advice?

Im happy with anyone's advice.

My blood gets to boiling point. I think I do bad patenting sometimes, but at the end of the day I think it's just that they crave attention and just want to be kids.

My child has sooooo many toys and his intetested in doing things that he shouldn't.

Give him the iPad and it's all over.
    I only have the abc channel on there for kids and educational apps and apps in our language.

I think and hope it gets better. I think he need patients a lot of it and just to walk away when things are at breaking point.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Nafsika For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (11-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @LoCo thank you for starting this thread. It has been great to read all the options that others use.

We have been in the same situation for the past 5 months. I have a 3 1/2 yr old and a 7 month old. We too missed the terrible twos and DS1 is now making up for it. He is a very bright, independent and determined young man. He can be extremely thoughtful, polite and caring of others but we now see a very Jekyll and Hyde personality emerging. I think I will need divine intervention for us to survive.

I put his behaviour down to the new bubs arrival and his need for attention. He is at his worse when I have my hands full with DS2 or we are in a hurry. I was hoping that it would get better soon but I guess it comes in waves and we just need to ride it out. As others have said this too shall pass.

We have tried a variety of things; one day the poor kid had no toys left in his room and it didn't phase him one bit.
    - I tried throwing toys in the bin and then he started offering ones he thought he really didn't need anymore
    - I would give him an option if you do such and such mummy will let you watch TV etc and he comes back with a counter offer
    - I have resorted to bribes to have him say no he didn't want chocolate or ice cream

We have found that by acknowledging the positives (this can be hard to find some days) and asking for his big brother assistance at times has been most helpful. If it all turns to s$&@ then we have a designated time out area.

We have been trying to have one on one time with him when we can also.

It just gets frustrating some days.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Farmboys For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (11-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    No problem FB ✌️

Well things "had" been going well until today. She was a nightmare today. Why is it when we're alone she is semi well behaved and when her dad is around she's worse than ever. She was such a grump all day, swore at everyone she came into contact with, told everyone to shutup, told my uncle he was FAT, told my Grandmother that she knows she hates her and my grandmother was taken back saying I don't hate you baby I love you. She kept saying NO you don't want me! 🙉 and she didn't listen once today. I even bribed her with lollies and frozen yoghurt thinking its Sunday maybe she needs some fun stuff today seeing as we are a sugar free house most of the time but nope the sugar made her even worse
    It's to a point I'm to scared to open my eyes in the morning as I don't know what mood she ll be in. She's now dropped her day sleeps so I don't get a tea break AT ALL now😞
    She's been screaming at the baby most of today and it's starting to hurt me. I thought she loved her new baby and I'm sure she does but ykwim. Now baby has started taking interest in DD's toys and things DD is just so jealous and territorial. *sigh* I should be asleep but I can't stop thinking about how I can fix this.

I met 2 teachers today well actually DD did as she talks to everyone she sees sometimes she's nasty but sometimes like today she ll hold a decent conversation. I said to these teachers I have your worst nightmare student in the making right here and they said no we adore kids like that. Geezuz I hope so😣

Gosh this 3 year old gig is hard. It's even harder without support. DH works a lot, my inlaws don't live here, my dad has moved oseas and my mum is unwell so I have literally no one to bounce off or help me for 10 minutes. I know I know cry me a river🙈

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Nafsika View Post
    Very interesting thread.
    My 2yr 7 month old is a little like this, his become really bad at the shops, he runs off or just lays on the floor. My hubby doesn't think we need a double stroller, but I'm 100% sure we do.
    At home his ok, he gets a little jelouse with his baby sister. It's hard to divide your time.

I've raised my voice also. Doesn't help, he does it back. I don't think the sticker reward will help as he will go and tear it up.

His still not talking much, but understands a lot. His also into the hitting stage.

Sometimes I wonder if he has an issue. In the late afternoon it's hard to control him he just becomes sooooo hyperactive? Too much energy.

My blood gets to boiling point. I think I do bad patenting sometimes, but at the end of the day I think it's just that they crave attention and just want to be kids.

My child has sooooo many toys and his intetested in doing things that he shouldn't.

I only have the abc channel on there for kids and educational apps and apps in our language.

I think and hope it gets better. I think he need patients a lot of it and just to walk away when things are at breaking point.
    I wonder if some exercise in the afternoon to wear off some energy might help? Trip to the park, a walk?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruby_Tuesday15 For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (12-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Very interesting thread.

I wonder if some exercise in the afternoon to wear off some energy might help? Trip to the park, a walk?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruby_Tuesday15 For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (12-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by LoCo View Post
    Why is it when we're alone she is semi well behaved and when her dad is around she's worse than ever. She was such a grump all day, swore at everyone she came into contact with, told everyone to shutup, told my uncle he was FAT, told my Grandmother that she knows she hates her and my grandmother was taken back saying I don't hate you baby I love you. She kept saying NO you don't want me!
    We found DS1 did this to test the boundaries. Any attention seemed to be what he wanted, be it good or bad. He has said something similar to his grandma and we are thinking that it comes from feeling all the attention is on new bub.

We have asked family to make sure they acknowledge DS1 before DS2, to please ignore some of the silly attention seeking behaviours and to make sure they spend one on one time with him. It isn't as out of control as it use to be.

Quote Originally Posted by LoCo View Post
    She's now dropped her day sleeps so I don't get a tea break AT ALL now😞
    DS1 did this just before he turned 2. We now have a rest time mid afternoon. He rests on his bed with different books, plays quietly in his room or does some colouring / drawing etc. sometimes he falls asleep. This allows me a little break and to catch up on jobs. Last week we both sat and did some puzzles together.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Farmboys For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (12-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 2yr 7 month old is a little like this, his become really bad at the shops, he runs off or just lays on the floor. My hubby doesn't think we need a double stroller, but I'm 100% sure we
    Maybe your hubby needs to do the shopping with them if he thinks it's not needed!

Yes it would be much easier for you to be able to put him in and would help to teach him your expectations eg he could be out of it if he behaved and if not he gets strapped in the stroller

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Farmboys For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (12-01-2015)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast