+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Hard knotty area in breast - blocked duct??

I just found a hard knotty area in my breast. Its not hot or red but is sore if I press on it.

Could this be a blocked duct? Ive never had one before but I read that you are meant to massage in the shower which ive just done, anything else I can do?

Thanks
    Reviews
    It could be a blocked duct or the beginning of mastitis. I used to massage it in a hot shower and every time I fed my baby until it went away.

If you feel yourself getting flu like symptoms, head straight to the doctor as it will then have developed into mastitis which is not very pleasant. (I never personally got mastitis, but my sister did a few times and it really knocked her around).

3. The Following User Says Thank You to amazonbaby For This Useful Post:

heartstringz  (08-01-2015)

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If you think it's a blocked duct, I would suggest feeding from that side first (when baby is most hungry), and warm it up before the feed by placing a warm cloth on the area. Also continue to massage in the shower and wear soft cup bras. If it doesn't go away in a couple of days, have it checked out (sooner if it becomes painful/red etc).

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It does sound like the start of a blocked duct and as Witwicky said, make sure you feed from that breast first and that it empties. If it gets worse, feed with your breast hanging over bub and down so it can drain and if you can push out the block as bub is feeding. When you next shower, massage the lump out as much as you can.

Another really good thing to have is an electric toothbrush (or other things that vibrate) and use that on the lump to try and get it out, sounds kooky, but it quite often works!

If it starts to get red and gets bigger and nothing else has worked, definitely see a GP. Another option is to ring ahead a Physio and tell them you have a blocked duct and they will ultrasound it for you.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by [Mod] Uniquey View Post
    It does sound like the start of a blocked duct and as Witwicky said, make sure you feed from that breast first and that it empties. If it gets worse, feed with your breast hanging over bub and down so it can drain and if you can push out the block as bub is feeding. When you next shower, massage the lump out as much as you can.

Another really good thing to have is an electric toothbrush (or other things that vibrate) and use that on the lump to try and get it out, sounds kooky, but it quite often works!

If it starts to get red and gets bigger and nothing else has worked, definitely see a GP. Another option is to ring ahead a Physio and tell them you have a blocked duct and they will ultrasound it for you.
    Exactly this :-) great advice

Thanks
    Reviews
    How did you go OP? I just had a blocked duct overnight, finally got it clear this morning. Was very glad I'd had a look at all the advice here!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mad84 For This Useful Post:

Mod-Uniquey  (09-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies I seem to have cleared it! Your advice is much appreciated

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Good to hear!