+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Has anyone taken their toddler to toddler gym?

I want to entertain my toddler who is stuck at home most of the week now I have a new baby. Is this something I could bring the baby along to or would I be required to interact too much rather than just supervise?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DS goes to a toddler gym class and parents definitely need to interact with them (until 4 years of age at our centre). Same with gymbaroo when we did that. At gymbaroo there were often extra teachers/parents on hand to help settle a baby (eg pushing a pram) so that could be an option if you're comfortable with it? I occasionally wore my baby in a carrier while supervising DD but it was really hard and limited what I could do with her (there was lots of sitting, picking her up, helping on bars, etc.). It was also disruptive to the other parents I found.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sajimum For This Useful Post:

Eilonwy  (08-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

By toddler gym to you mean like gymbaroo? We attend gymbaroo once a week for an hour and have done since DS was about 11 weeks old. He is 15 months now and absolutely loves it! You have to participate in the class with them rather than just watch. Not sure if this is what all toddler gyms are like. Probably not ideal with another LO in tow unless someone can come with you and watch the bub.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to TeamCarts For This Useful Post:

Eilonwy  (08-01-2015)

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    we went to a toddler gym class when DD was little - you had to do it with them up to 3 yrs ... after that it was just watching/supervise

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

Eilonwy  (08-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My kids have done YMCA gymnastics, you have to go in the class with them until they're 4, but loads of people did this with little babies. You can leave the baby off to the side in their pram to watch/ sleep or put them into a carrier and carry on with the class. Definately do-able.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to LittleBug'sMum For This Useful Post:

Eilonwy  (08-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sajimum View Post
    My DS goes to a toddler gym class and parents definitely need to interact with them (until 4 years of age at our centre). Same with gymbaroo when we did that. At gymbaroo there were often extra teachers/parents on hand to help settle a baby (eg pushing a pram) so that could be an option if you're comfortable with it? I occasionally wore my baby in a carrier while supervising DD but it was really hard and limited what I could do with her (there was lots of sitting, picking her up, helping on bars, etc.). It was also disruptive to the other parents I found.
    Thanks sajimum is toddler gym just like gymbaroo - we did that and hated it I was hoping toddler gym would be more free play.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eilonwy View Post
    Thanks sajimum is toddler gym just like gymbaroo - we did that and hated it I was hoping toddler gym would be more free play.
    At our centre it is more free time - they do a quick warm up, then a circuit type floor thing, then time on the beams/bars/etc and finally time on the huge trampoline. The kids are encouraged to take part at each one in turn but often the younger ones just do free play on the equipment. That being said, I feel like I should have waited before enrolling my just turned 2 year old - he is too young to listen at the moment.

ETA we swapped from gymbaroo because my DS hated the sitting still part. There is definitely more running,climbing,etc in the toddler gymnastics class