+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mummyChubbles View Post
    Bullying and all aside, I am replying to just the part about the university, the hospital and the placement.
    Hi mummyChubbles, always interesting to hear from the other side of the fence. I understand about supervisor availability and I realise that clinical supervision is an additional task for clinicians. It's great that there are some really helpful supervisors out there.

The number of students needing placements is in single digits, with many more sites available, so not a big task for the coordinator.

We were not given any info about placements and sites when we started the course (first intake). Observing the allocations, it looks like the coordinator has gone out of her way to put some students at opposite ends of the metro area. Special arrangements have been made in previous years for students on my course.

I think that there some real OH&S issues for students. In my case, I have medical issues that make the proposed travel a problem. I also suffer from the heat and don't function too well in the height of summer. We're also expected to study in the evening and at weekends - there's very little opportunity for family time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Studying when you're a parent

If you cannot work with this injury, get a doctors certificate and the university will have to reschedule which may mean a different placement.

If you can work with the injury, then you can either do it or not. Not can do it here, but not there.

No, I cannot know. I am offering opinions and suggestions based on the information you have given, which is all I can do. If you want more tailored responses, you need to give us more information.

I am sorry if this comes off as harsh, but you are obviously not going to change your mind. You don't want to go this place, I get it - placements are Sh!t sometimes. Some you fly through, some you crawl through. But as a student, as a grad student, as a newbie there are going to be places, positions, shifts, people that you don't want to work with or do, but you won't have a choice.

I hope you sort out a resolution.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    OP I just reread your original post. And in the light of that I wonder if your previous experience has resulted in something like mild anxiety/PTSD? Are you worried that you will be underprepared again? I can imagine that would have been very upsetting and embarrassing for you.

I wonder if it would help if you approached Uni with a dot point list of what you are concerned about and asked them to talk it through with you?

I'm sorry, I'm a little unclear as to how 50km is going to be 3 hrs travel, but this detail alone is making me think the following: it seems like you need to look at your options and pick the better of the two. For example:

Travel three hours a day/seek cheap hospital accommodation.

From there, say you choose the second option, you mentioned concerns about shopping. So, look into it. You seem like you will like to be organised and to know exactly what to prepare. There's nothing wrong with that. A systematic approach may help. If you find out that there's a supermarket round the corner then that will eliminate one worry.

Most of us have had to endure some $hit when training for/beginning our jobs. I had to live for two years in the dessert 800 kms away from my friends, family and partner.

If you are sure this is the career for you and this prac is the only thing in your way, then hey, it'll be tough but then it'll be over.

There are many people here that can offer advice of getting your teens into action, although I'm not one of them.

I guess ultimately the question is - do you truly want to do this or not? Then go from there. Good luck :-)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (10-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a part time student and will be doing pracs this semester and I fully understand just how difficult it is with children. You sound like you're under an enormous amount of stress and I think you've done amazingly well with everything that's going on to get this far through the course.

My only suggestion would be to talk to your student union's diversity officer or similar. A lot of unions have people who are there specifically to help mature aged students, parents who are studying, and people who face extra challenges. I know you've said your union isn't very helpful but it might be worth a look at their resources again to see if there is a contact officer, or group who can assist you. I know at my uni they have officers who will help you in grievances with supervisors/course coordinators and at a previous uni they had a special room set up for mature aged students and parents with extra information about policies that can assist you when you have disagreements with your supervisor. They can also assist where you have a bullying situation. At the very least they can provide understanding and put you in touch with support groups at your uni for people in a similar situation.

Another option is to try to find yourself a placement that's more convenient. I'm not doing a hospital based prac but in my course you are allowed to try to find your own placements and then submit it for approval. You could try contacting hospitals that would be more suitable for you and asking.

Good luck. I really hope that you are able to find a solution.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

babyla  (10-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedDirection View Post
    Hi mummyChubbles, always interesting to hear from the other side of the fence. I understand about supervisor availability and I realise that clinical supervision is an additional task for clinicians. It's great that there are some really helpful supervisors out there.

The number of students needing placements is in single digits, with many more sites available, so not a big task for the coordinator.

We were not given any info about placements and sites when we started the course (first intake). Observing the allocations, it looks like the coordinator has gone out of her way to put some students at opposite ends of the metro area. Special arrangements have been made in previous years for students on my course.

I think that there some real OH&S issues for students. In my case, I have medical issues that make the proposed travel a problem. I also suffer from the heat and don't function too well in the height of summer. We're also expected to study in the evening and at weekends - there's very little opportunity for family time.
    Okay WTH. Every university student, hell every school student is expected to study nights and weekends. That life.

I sorry I don't understand what you mean by your suffer from heat. I can tell no one functions at their best in the height of summer.

If you have other medical problems that prevents you from traveling you need to see your university disabilities offer and get their help.

In my experience if you have a diagnosed medical problem and have paperwork to back you up, the university will try to help you.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

babyla  (10-01-2015),VicPark  (11-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    How do you know a metro placement won't do it for you? As a student are you really able to make that call? I'm sure people have qualified with metro placements before. If you can't qualify with a metro placement and others can there are bigger issues at play.
    Hi VicPark, yes, as a student I can make the call, because of my previous experience in metro placements. Yes, there are bigger issues at play, and I've been trying to find my way around them. Only one mum with school-aged children has graduated from this course.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, I have diagnosed conditions with paperwork supplied to uni, including disability officer. All was ignored, and I got injured on the placement. This injury affects some aspects of my mobility, including driving. My injury does not prevent me from doing the work, and there will be no job from this course. I've always intended to go into private practice because I know that jobs are few and far between and they're going to go to the 22 year olds.

I would like to respond to the newer posts, but I am being accused of hogging the computer. Please excuse me until the morning.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If your condition and possible needs were ignored, and then an injury occurred, why did you continue?

I get not wanting to quit. I do. But ignoring the legal ramifications, why would you continue a course with a facility that so blatantly disregards your safety?

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SeymourTheBear For This Useful Post:

amyd  (11-01-2015),NurseAnni  (11-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedDirection View Post
    Only one mum with school-aged children has graduated from this course.
    Sounds rough. All the more reason for you to bite the bullet and tell your hubby to pull his finger out. You can't expect the Uni to bend over and be accommodating when you don't demand the same of your hubby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    OP I just reread your original post. And in the light of that I wonder if your previous experience has resulted in something like mild anxiety/PTSD? Are you worried that you will be underprepared again? I can imagine that would have been very upsetting and embarrassing for you.
    -)
    That's what I thought. Could be wrong.