+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I don't think we're going to be able to help you unless you either open up more about the bullying and/or do some self reflection.
    Say that for whatever reason you're a part-time student. If you're a student teacher, you did a unit that taught you how to use the whole language approach to teach kids how to read. You're about to go to a placement and a few days before it starts, you find out that you will be assessed on teaching the phonetics system. You spend the weekend reading dozens of pages you've never seen before. You don't pass the prac. After the prac, you find out that the other students, who've all just graduated, got to practise teaching the phonetics system to real kids in some classrooms. Coordinators knew you hadn't been taught and assessed on the changed material.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Did you ask for assistance/to practice the phonetics system when first arriving at the placement? Perhaps the other students read new pages just like you and the reason why they got practise is because they asked at the start of their prac, with an understanding they would do the assessment at the end if the prac? Perhaps the phonetics system is something that experts in the area have agreed one should be able to pick up by studying a few notes? What was your feedback for the placement like - any other areas marked for improvement?
    Last edited by VicPark; 10-01-2015 at 21:16.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Did you ask for assistance/to practice the phonetics system when first arriving at the placement? Perhaps the other students read new pages just like you and the reason why they got practise is because they asked at the start of their prac, with an understanding they would do the assessment at the end if the prac?
    Yes, I explained that I had only just received the material. Other students got the training and assessment because they had been taught it when the unit was updated, but the updates were never given to me, and I never got the chance to practise using it before the placement. Coordinator told site supervisor that I had received same training as others. Other students started prac with the training, I did not. I noticed that the other student was getting more practise than me and I asked for more practise. Coordinator turned up announced at prac site and I was told that I was questioning my supervisor's professional judgement about the learning opportunities I was given. One of the assessment points is how fast you are and I wasn't as fast as site supervisors were expecting me to be. Assessment done at set points, on set skills, but very open to interpretation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Bullying and all aside, I am replying to just the part about the university, the hospital and the placement.

I work in a hospital and part of my job is to supervise students. If I (and the team that I work with) feel that we cannot provide a consistent learning environment for the student (an example of this would be changing supervisors every day - hardly fair on the student), then we simply cannot offer the placement. So there are times when at late notice, placements are withdrawn - reasons for that may include staff going on unplanned leave (eg sudden and prolonged sick leave), a change in staffing and hence availability of supervisors. This is not the university's fault - the co-ordinators work exceptionally hard to try and make sure that every student gets sufficient placements to pass. This in itself is no mean feat - especially when there is very little funding. Their job is to provide you with a placement - which they have done, even if it is not one that you are happy with. Here's the reality of healthcare life though - I'm assuming that because you are doing hospital-based clinical training, if you are going to be going into a graduate role, you will be expected to rotate through different areas. Some of which you will like, and some of which you won't.

On the topic of placements, I've had students travel up to 1.5-2 hours each way for placement where I work. Similarly, I've had to do that amount of travel as a student. I get that it's different as a student with a family - but as I mentioned above, the uni's only obligation is to provide you with a placement to fulfill the criteria for you to pass your course. When I was a student, we were all told that we signed up for the course, knowing what the expectations for placements were, knowing that we could be sent anywhere for them and would be expected to arrange our own travel - and aware of the impact that this could have on other jobs etc - and that none of that would constitute reasons to request alternative placements.

I really hope that you can find a solution that works for you and your family. You're doing an incredible thing - studying while raising a family. All the best with it xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Studying when you're a parent

I don't mean to be insulting OP, but what replies do you want?

Advice? It's been offered and vehemently rejected.

A vent? Done. Several times.

I rarely agree with VP () but several responders, including myself have offered advice, platitudes and suggestions and you have not responded to most of them.

If you just want to have a vent and a whine about it - that's fine, we all need that.

But you have asked for advice, we have given and you just seem to be going on the attack no matter the reply.

I do hope you can sort it out and make the most of wherever you end up doing your placement, and what is best for you and your family x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SeymourTheBear View Post
    I don't mean to be insulting OP, but what replies do you want?

Advice? It's been offered and vehemently rejected.

A vent? Done. Several times.

I rarely agree with VP () but several responders, including myself have offered advice, platitudes and suggestions and you have not responded to most of them.

If you just want to have a vent and a whine about it - that's fine, we all need that.

But you have asked for advice, we have given and you just seem to be going on the attack no matter the reply.

I do hope you can sort it out and make the most of wherever you end up doing your placement, and what is best for you and your family x
    Hi SeymourTheBear, I realise that it is impossible for you to understand my situation, because it's complicated and I can't disclose all on here. The area they want to send me is not safe, going there and back on a daily basis is something I was prepared to do for an earlier placement, but not for this final one. I now have my injury to contend with. It's not just a matter of staying at the site Mon-Thurs nights - if I did that, how would I travel about? What about shopping? It is my understanding that there is no staff accommodation as it's in a metro area, but I will double-check. Accommodation in the vicinity ranges from $150-250 per night, plus I would need transport. Another hospital worker told me 'don't expect your car to be undamaged and still in the car park at the end of the day'.

There's also a different working environment in the country compared to the city and that is what I want to experience.

What is best for my family is to get my qualification and I already know that a metro placement won't do that for me. I'm trying to maximise my chances of success and appreciate brainstorming and lateral thinking.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedDirection View Post
    Hi SeymourTheBear, I realise that it is impossible for you to understand my situation, because it's complicated and I can't disclose all on here. The area they want to send me is not safe, going there and back on a daily basis is something I was prepared to do for an earlier placement, but not for this final one. I now have my injury to contend with. It's not just a matter of staying at the site Mon-Thurs nights - if I did that, how would I travel about? What about shopping? It is my understanding that there is no staff accommodation as it's in a metro area, but I will double-check. Accommodation in the vicinity ranges from $150-250 per night, plus I would need transport. Another hospital worker told me 'don't expect your car to be undamaged and still in the car park at the end of the day'.

There's also a different working environment in the country compared to the city and that is what I want to experience.

What is best for my family is to get my qualification and I already know that a metro placement won't do that for me. I'm trying to maximise my chances of success and appreciate brainstorming and lateral thinking.

If it a metro placements there will be public transportation. You will be able to stay future out for cheaper accommodation. Shopping shouldnt really not even a consideration considering it metro. Dd has lived in the big smoke for 3 years without needing a car.

Honestly if you plan on being in medical industry you need metro experience too. A low class metro hospital sounds like a great place learn the skills you need to have a successful career.

I know i would rather someone that has lots of different experience working on me rather than someone that has only had country experience.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    No doubt you're right but you are a student. You don't get to pick and chose your placements based on what you 'want.' Save that for when you are qualified and can apply for a dream job in a dream location. Hopefully your instructors will assign you placements on what they think you 'need' or at the very least what is available.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (10-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Hi SeymourTheBear, I realise that it is impossible for you to understand my situation, because it's complicated and I can't disclose all on here. The area they want to send me is not safe, going there and back on a daily basis is something I was prepared to do for an earlier placement, but not for this final one. I now have my injury to contend with.
    How can the placement be suitable for an earlier placement but not this one? If your injury is preventing you from taking what others would consider a reasonable placement, then are you going to be fit to work once you are qualified?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    How do you know a metro placement won't do it for you? As a student are you really able to make that call? I'm sure people have qualified with metro placements before. If you can't qualify with a metro placement and others can there are bigger issues at play.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

NurseAnni  (10-01-2015)