+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I've done placements in the welfare and education fields and organising placements is a huge and stressful job. It isn't just about trying to satisfy every student, it's about trying to ensure the placements are there. I've had placements that weren't my first choice but sometimes you just have to white knuckle it. I wanted a placement at my kids school. Had the principal and a teacher happy to take me. Would have worked in so well. But the placement unit won't allow placements where your kids go. It annoyed me but I just went elsewhere and loved it. There are learning opportunities in every situation.

I'm not saying to put up with bullying but the placement and staff there may surprise you. Deal with the bullying at the top level as you see fit, but I would take the placement you are given and make it work. When I first graduated I used my Field Educators as references until I developed paid work references.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    If there was no supervisor available at your chosen prac placement then there was no supervisor available. It is unlikely that had anything to do with the coordinator. That they didn't consult you regarding an alternative replacement may not be the best practice but it's certainly not a hanging offence ...especially considering you got a placement that enables you to go home at night (hardly a heartless decision - not their fault your family isn't supportive). While you are a student you can't avoid oversight from the staff, including on the job monitoring. You will have to find a way to make it work and address inappropriate behavior as it arises.

I think a change in focus would be healthy. Give the coordinator a break in this particular instance as from what you've said in this particular instance it appears they have done nothing wrong. Put it back on your family and tell them to pull their finger out. Address any bullying separately - but first have a long hard think to make sure you have separated normal management and training responsibilities (including performance management) from genuine bullying.
    Where does it say that a bully deserves a break? As I said in earlier post, I am awaiting the results from a doctor - this is for an injury caused on the last prac by my 2 site supervisors and my uni coordinator and another uni tutor who visited me on-site. This is nothing to do with family issues.

I have tried to address inappropriate behaviour many times, but a student on my course is not allowed to do that. I expressed my concern about being supervised by someone where there was a prior history (of bullying, although I didn't mention this word to her) and this got translated into me supposedly refusing to have her as my supervisor, and she accused me of questioning her competency.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    I see you're a new poster here which means I don't have a lot of knowledge about your life, so please forgive any assumptions I'm making, I'm just going by what you've written on this thread.

I'm not sure that the university are in the wrong - if the hospital have withdrawn their support they've withdrawn their support. I'd be very careful about approaching them from a 'you did me wrong' perspective.

It's not ideal, I see that, but where you end up working might not be ideal. I like to try to take any experience and make it a positive learning one. It seems to me like this is a good chance for a practise run for when you're working.

I assume at a hospital in your job there will be night shifts? So your family needs to learn that things are changing and now would be a good chance to set up routines and see how things work. You are all going to have to adapt if you are going to continue to be a one car family.

In the meantime, could a compromise be that your husband drives you the three km to public transport for your placement?

It sounds as though you are going to encounter some of these supervisors in your professional life so I would go carefully from here. If there's a grievance procedure at uni/the hospital, then follow it to the letter. Do a great job at your prac and document anything and everything that you think may be an issue. Perhaps your prac supervisor would agree to be present at any meetings/observations/reviews etc (I'm not sure how it works for you, sorry) so there is a witness present.

You might hate this idea, but it might be worth sincerely apologising to the person who felt you were questioning their competence and clarify what you meant. In the long run it will make your life better to be able to have a smooth prac experience and you can still address the issues after you graduate if you'd still like to.

If you want to go ahead and ask for your prac to be changed, be proactive and go in with some suggestions or options. Sorry to be blunt, but the university doesn't owe you convenience - they are providing you with an opportunity to have practical experience in the environment you'd like to work in. Every student would probably like the easiest option for them, but it's not always possible.

I know I had a teaching prac where I had to get up at 5.40 to get the public transport connections. I also had to give up my part time job. Pracs are hard and have a huge impact on every day life, I do understand that.

I'm unclear as to the relevance of the doctor reports, but, as a last resort, is it possible to apply to defer your prac until later in the year?

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (10-01-2015),delirium  (10-01-2015),GrabbyCrabby  (10-01-2015),VicPark  (10-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedDirection View Post
    Where does it say that a bully deserves a break? As I said in earlier post, I am awaiting the results from a doctor - this is for an injury caused on the last prac by my 2 site supervisors and my uni coordinator and another uni tutor who visited me on-site. This is nothing to do with family issues.

I have tried to address inappropriate behaviour many times, but a student on my course is not allowed to do that. I expressed my concern about being supervised by someone where there was a prior history (of bullying, although I didn't mention this word to her) and this got translated into me supposedly refusing to have her as my supervisor, and she accused me of questioning her competency.
    You've said nothing that would indicate to date that your course coordinator is a bully. From the outside (and yes we do not know all the facts) it appears you are picking on your course coordinator - at least in this particular instance.

At first it was your family causing the problems. Then when you were advised to force them to pull their weight it's not, it's the Uni.

On one hand you say you've tried to address inappropriate behavior. On the other hand you're riding it out until you graduate. You've mentioned skirting around the truth about not wanting a particular supervisor (not saying the B word). Skirting around the truth is a recipe for misunderstanding....

I don't know how to say this so I am just going to say it. You seem to have a lot of conflict with various people. Any chance that due to your home life being stressful (yes from what you've written I do believe it's a real problem that you need to address) you are extra sensitive to what is going on at work? That you are misreading what is the staff's legitimate role to train and correct your mistakes as bullying? Any chance you not being clear in your communications or dealing with little conflicts effectively is leading to bigger conflicts?
    - I am not saying this to be narky. I just don't want you getting embroiled in further stress when it's not necessary. I could very well be wrong - just going on what information has been provided thus far which I know is probably incomplete. There are some great personal development courses out there that are designed to help people negotiate outcomes and deal with conflict.

Good luck.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (10-01-2015),NurseAnni  (10-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I just wanted to add good onyou for studying with a family. I studied before kids and that was bloody hard enough. I can only imagine the pressures involved when you have a family to look after. You really need them to be 100% on board. I have a lot of respect for parents who study. Best of luck I hope you graduate as planned and get a great job.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    I see you're a new poster here which means I don't have a lot of knowledge about your life, so please forgive any assumptions I'm making, I'm just going by what you've written on this thread.

I'm not sure that the university are in the wrong - if the hospital have withdrawn their support they've withdrawn their support. I'd be very careful about approaching them from a 'you did me wrong' perspective.

In the meantime, could a compromise be that your husband drives you the three km to public transport for your placement?

You might hate this idea, but it might be worth sincerely apologising to the person who felt you were questioning their competence and clarify what you meant.

I'm unclear as to the relevance of the doctor reports, but, as a last resort, is it possible to apply to defer your prac until later in the year?
    Apologies to you harvs, I've shortened your post to quote you. Apologies to you and others who are trying to help, but I cannot write about much in the way of details, but please believe me when I say that the uni has behaved unfairly and inappropriately. It is highly unlikely that I will get a job out of this course in a hospital, most grads don't.

Public transport: the 3 km walking is not all in one go - about half of it is at other end, in a 'sewer suburb'.

I'm certainly not apologising to a lying bully!

Prac supervisors are present at meetings - there's been 3 of them to me - what I need is an independent witness/advocate for me. Deferring prac not possible.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I do think it's important to pick your fights. Long term is this a battle worth pursuing.

If you can make it work I would try too. If you really feel you can't then explore other options.

It's prudent to remember that these people are the ones who will kick start your career with references etc., so I guess be sure to operate with integrity in all correspondence and dealings.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Could you find out if the hospital offers accomodation for prac students?
    Most do, not just for medical/nursing staff - for all staff associated with a hospital.
    It's very affordable - most of mine have been free, one was $3 a day. Worth enquiring about and you can go home on weekends.

It sounds like this is a tip of the iceberg situation, but try to make the most of your placement chances. Personally all my pracs were regional and I would have chopped my arm off to be given a metro one. Grass is always greener I guess.

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    You've said nothing that would indicate to date that your course coordinator is a bully. From the outside (and yes we do not know all the facts) it appears you are picking on your course coordinator - at least in this particular instance.

At first it was your family causing the problems. Then when you were advised to force them to pull their weight it's not, it's the Uni.

I don't know how to say this so I am just going to say it. You seem to have a lot of conflict with various people. Any chance that due to your home life being stressful (yes from what you've written I do believe it's a real problem that you need to address) you are extra sensitive to what is going on at work? That you are misreading what is the staff's legitimate role to train and correct your mistakes as bullying? Any chance you not being clear in your communications or dealing with little conflicts effectively is leading to bigger conflicts?
    - I am not saying this to be narky. I just don't want you getting embroiled in further stress when it's not necessary. I could very well be wrong - just going on what information has been provided thus far which I know is probably incomplete. There are some great personal development courses out there that are designed to help people negotiate outcomes and deal with conflict.

Good luck.
    There are 2 coordinators: course and placement, both are bullies. There's no doubt that I have a stressful family situation, but it wasn't like this before I started this course. The bullying has made family situation worse and has impacted on us all, emotionally and financially. There are many factors in my situation, not just my family and not just the uni, and it's too much detail to tell you everything all at once. I'm experiencing conflict because I haven't given up and run away. I do have problems dealing with liars - is there a personal development course for that? Or a course on training your spectrum-type and learning difficulties plus health conditions kids to pull their fingers out!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    I don't think we're going to be able to help you unless you either open up more about the bullying and/or do some self reflection.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast