+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    It appears from the outside that you are being unreasonable. It seems like you want the university to change their planning and scheduling for reasons that in no way shape or form warrant special consideration.
    I cannot give full details here, so although it might seem that I am being unreasonable, there are numerous issues that the uni has refused to consider. They refuse to address the bullying, or even acknowledge it. It's very difficult to be assessed fairly when it's being done by bullies.

I am unclear what you mean by 'special consideration', as it is not a term normally used by my uni. I'm talking more about equity issues, which are a constant, rather than a one-off type of situation.

My university has done wrong, but still I haven't been rushing in with all guns blazing. Without consulting me, the coordinator has decided on something that she thinks is an acceptable solution.

It is extremely difficult trying to sort this out with the uni when they have caused the problem, not me. By the 'problem', I'm not referring to changing the prac site, I'm referring to many issues pre-dating this prac.

It's gone way beyond carrot-dangling!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    What kind of prac is it OP?
    Hi babyla, it's a hospital one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I think you either need to formally (in writing) address the bullying and deal with it once and for all, or let it slide and get on with the placement.
    - before you push it further you need to have all the facts documented, minus any emotion that could be clouding your assessment. I'm not saying this is the case with you but form my experience in the workplace claims of bullying and harassment skyrocket at performance management time. Yes some of it may be bullying but a fair chunk is that people get defensive when they are told they need to improve - managers addressing management issues including underperformance doesn't necessarily constitute bullying. Once again I am not saying this is the case with your situation, just that if you proceed you need to be able to demonstrate the treatment you have received is unfair independent from the managerial responsibilities of the accused.

Making the battle about this placement is not the answer - IMO giving you a placement where you can be home at night isn't a major offence. It's not even a blip on the radar, it certainly wouldn't constitute unfair treatment or bullying. Dragging past incidents out and overlaying them on the prac placement isn't the answer either. By all means ask for a swap but don't kick up a stink if you don't get it as this will reflect negatively on you.
    Last edited by VicPark; 10-01-2015 at 16:44.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    Is it possible to approach the head of the faculty in regards to the bullying and the issues surrounding your placement?. I know a couple of girls that did this as our course coordinator was the main perpetrator of the bullying and very unsupportive. Both girls had some success in changing the place of the placement and one even changed the time she would go on placement.
    Might be worth trying?
    Hi HarvestMoon - Your suggestion is a good one, and it's interesting to hear that other students have had problems with a coordinator. Yes, normally, in such situation, you could seek help above the problem person, ie if you were dealing with a reasonable uni. I tried with the head of the department, but they did not investigate my concerns and did not address any of them. I then wrote a 2nd report that went higher up, but it just got passed back down to the head of the department, who just repeated her actions, ie ignore and do nothing! One of my uni's strategies is to deny their actions and avoid giving my issues any oxygen - it's worked very well for them so far!

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Sorry, I'm confused. Why did the uni change the prac? Did the hospital withdraw their offer to accept someone on prac? If not, could you approach them and ask if they are still willing to have you? If they are, I'm not sure why the university would have an issue with it?

If the university have withdrawn you and are sending someone else instead, I would say that is grounds to ask for the decision to be reversed as it seems inequitable. Most universities have a student rep who can advocate for you/mediate on your behalf in the case of issues to which you are alluding.

Can you ask at your suburban placement if there is someone that would put you up during the week? I teach in the country and have always been willing to put prac students up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I think you either need to formally (in writing) address the bullying and deal with it once and for all, or let it slide and get on with the placement.
    - before you push it further you need to have all the facts documented, minus any emotion that could be clouding your assessment. I'm not saying this is the case with you but form my experience in the workplace claims of bullying and harassment skyrocket at performance management time. Yes some of it may be bullying but a fair chunk is that people get defensive when they are told they need to improve - managers addressing management issues including underperformance doesn't necessarily constitute bullying.
    The advice I've received so far mostly consists of the 'grin and bear' it variety, then formally address the issues after I've graduated. I understand that approach and that is the route I took. However, it has meant that not only have the past events been ignored, but further unacceptable behaviour has continued. So, the time has come to formally address the issues - thank you for reinforcing my resolve.

Yes, I have facts documented objectively. There are some interesting aspects of performance-based behaviour.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedDirection View Post
    Hi babyla, it's a hospital one.
    I'm not really much use then as my experience is in education and university placements.

But, from my understanding placements can be negotiated and you have grounds to seek something which is more suited to your circumstances.

Have you contacted your student union?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    Sorry, I'm confused. Why did the uni change the prac? Did the hospital withdraw their offer to accept someone on prac? If not, could you approach them and ask if they are still willing to have you? If they are, I'm not sure why the university would have an issue with it?

If the university have withdrawn you and are sending someone else instead, I would say that is grounds to ask for the decision to be reversed as it seems inequitable. Most universities have a student rep who can advocate for you/mediate on your behalf in the case of issues to which you are alluding.

Can you ask at your suburban placement if there is someone that would put you up during the week? I teach in the country and have always been willing to put prac students up.
    Hi harvs, uni has said that it's because of supervisor not being available. It would be deemed inappropriate if I were to contact prac site. Unfortunately, I don't know where the other students are going, but there was only one rural prac site listed as an option. I suspect that other students have been given the other slots.

I had a bad experience on the last prac. A potential supervisor from there also works part-time at this suburban site, as does a lecturer from my uni. It's also within reach of uni lecturers/coordinator to visit me on-site - this has been disastrous previous (seriously not exaggerating). That is another reason I don't want to go there, either living at home or local to site.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    I'm not really much use then as my experience is in education and university placements.

But, from my understanding placements can be negotiated and you have grounds to seek something which is more suited to your circumstances.

Have you contacted your student union?
    Our student union not particularly useful. Very hard for non-health professionals to stand up to those who are. What I had been given was very suited to my circumstances and was exactly what I put down as my preferences (much to my surprise). Coordinator is quite young, not a parent, and did not consult me about the change. I have several grounds to appeal on, back to doctor on Monday to get results of scans and his recommendations.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    If there was no supervisor available at your chosen prac placement then there was no supervisor available. It is unlikely that had anything to do with the coordinator. That they didn't consult you regarding an alternative replacement may not be the best practice but it's certainly not a hanging offence ...especially considering you got a placement that enables you to go home at night (hardly a heartless decision - not their fault your family isn't supportive). While you are a student you can't avoid oversight from the staff, including on the job monitoring. You will have to find a way to make it work and address inappropriate behavior as it arises.

I think a change in focus would be healthy. Give the coordinator a break in this particular instance as from what you've said in this particular instance it appears they have done nothing wrong. Put it back on your family and tell them to pull their finger out. Address any bullying separately - but first have a long hard think to make sure you have separated normal management, training responsibilities (including performance management), misunderstanding and difference of opinion from genuine bullying.
    Last edited by VicPark; 10-01-2015 at 18:17.