+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Good luck. Hopefully you can find a solution that works for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Can you stay in a hotel or some type of accommodation near your prac and not come home?

So it is more like you are on a rural prac?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    That's a tough situation OP. I had a three day a week, 8 month long placement earlier this year and needed to allow almost 2 hours travel each day. It was a 12 hour day and my husband certainly had to pick up the slack - he found it challenging and stressful and fell behind in his work so we were both glad when it was done. 3 of my 4 placements during this course we're at least 1.5 hours travel - thankfully 2 were completed pre-kids. It's really hard for unis to find appropriate and willing supervisors/locations in some courses which sounds like it's contributed to the issues in your case.

It sounds like you have decided to fight this decision. Hopefully you get a positive outcome. FWIW, I think your husband needs to put himself in your shoes and pick up the load while you are on placement.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kooglekat View Post
    Can you stay in a hotel or some type of accommodation near your prac and not come home?

So it is more like you are on a rural prac?
    Don't know if uni would agree to paying for accommodation, we've previously been told not when site is in a metro area. Where I live is a very large city, so big distances from one side of city to the other. It would take about the same time to drive there as to some sites classed as rural. The site I'm concerned about is in metro area, on outer edge and it is a well-known high crime area, one of those nicknamed a "sewer suburb".

Staying in accommodation near the site would be a solution, but I would still need a car (we're a one car family). Wouldn't fancy staying there, too hot - think March in the outback in terms of temperatures (can't seem to use emoticons, I was going for EEK!). In case you think 'so what, it's Australia and it's summer', think very hot + perimenopausal, a bit like being very pregnant at the height of summer!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sajimum View Post
    That's a tough situation OP. I had a three day a week, 8 month long placement earlier this year and needed to allow almost 2 hours travel each day. It was a 12 hour day and my husband certainly had to pick up the slack - he found it challenging and stressful and fell behind in his work so we were both glad when it was done. 3 of my 4 placements during this course we're at least 1.5 hours travel - thankfully 2 were completed pre-kids. It's really hard for unis to find appropriate and willing supervisors/locations in some courses which sounds like it's contributed to the issues in your case.

It sounds like you have decided to fight this decision. Hopefully you get a positive outcome. FWIW, I think your husband needs to put himself in your shoes and pick up the load while you are on placement.
    Hi sajimum, your placement hours were ridiculous, but at least the 8 month placement was only for 3 days a week. I don't think that finding sites is a particular problem and the student group this year is small, I think that it's the coordinator playing more games with me. Apart from the travel time, a major issue is avoiding the bullies - by this I mean clinical supervisors and lecturers, as well as some graduates I've come across on my course. There's a lot of part-timers who work across 2 different hospitals, so it can be a challenge dodging the bullies.

OH struggles to cope with our kids and is very traditional (aka pre-historic) in his attitudes. Both kids very disruptive, few health conditions going on. It was a major breakthrough to get OH to agree to me doing a rural prac. He's also looking down the barrel of retrenchment, so overall extremely high stress levels in the house, even without me doing prac.

I'm back to the doctor on Monday, to get test results and recommendations. I went to see him before I got the news of the prac site change, BTW.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Having a hubby and/or kids who won't pull their finger out isn't grounds for special consideration. Although I assume because your hubby agreed to the rural placement he is prepared to help.

You can either rent a room during the week close to the placement, or travel each day and schedule 7-9pm as study time which means no cooking or cleaning for your family. Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Having a hubby and/or kids who won't pull their finger out isn't grounds for special consideration. Although I assume because your hubby agreed to the rural placement he is prepared to help.

You can either rent a room during the week close to the placement, or travel each day and schedule 7-9pm as study time which means no cooking or cleaning for your family. Good luck.
    We're not paying for accommodation, though, but your sharp approach doesn't solve the bullying problem.

My issues aren't just to do with unsupportive and demanding family situation. Rural is a better learning environment for me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedDirection View Post
    We're not paying for accommodation, though, but your sharp approach doesn't solve the bullying problem.

My issues aren't just to do with unsupportive and demanding family situation. Rural is a better learning environment for me.
    Understanding how the situation reads from an outside perspective before approaching the university might be helpful - work in your favour.

It appears from the outside that you are being unreasonable. It seems like you want the university to change their planning and scheduling for reasons that in no way shape or form warrant special consideration. The main issues are with your family not pulling their weight. The issue needs to be addressed by you and your husband, it is not reasonable to expect the university to be inconvenienced because you and your hubby can't divvy up the household chores. If the University changed everyone's placements for reasons like this their job would be a logistical nightmare (and expensive one). The learning environment argument isn't sufficient to justify special consideration. As an adult and when you are a qualified employee you are probably going to be expected to perform under a variety of scenarios, including pressure filled ones. You need to be able to prioritise and negotiate in order to accomplish an end goal - laying down the law and getting your hubby and kids to pull their weight is probably a good start.

I am not sure of the specific nature of the bullying, although I think I recall some details of a previous post. If this is the real reason that you can't take the placement you were given then that's ok but you need to be able to articulate this to the university and back it up with documentation. Otherwise it's going to come accross as you just being unable to work with other people (I am not saying that is the case).

I am not saying this to try and be hurtful... I am hoping it will help you tailor your approach if you do ask the university to reconsider. Eg
    - don't go in with guns blazing: they haven't done anything wrong, they don't owe you anything. If they change your placement they will be doing you a favor.
    - be honest about why you want a different placement
    - perhaps say something like "I understand you may not be able to change things, however I would be grateful for any consideration you could give to my request.
    - if you can dangle a carrot, offer a compromise then that will work in your favour.

Good luck

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (10-01-2015),Lauzy  (10-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    What kind of prac is it OP?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedDirection View Post

Is it possible to approach the head of the faculty in regards to the bullying and the issues surrounding your placement?. I know a couple of girls that did this as our course coordinator was the main perpetrator of the bullying and very unsupportive. Both girls had some success in changing the place of the placement and one even changed the time she would go on placement.
    Might be worth trying?