+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Traveling overseas during first trimester?

Hi all,

I have a question and would love to hear your own experiences with this.

My husband and I want to start TTC later this year.

However, we have also planned a trip to Europe to visit family next summer, so there is a small possibility, that I could be in the early stages of pregnancy during our trip to Europe.

Is this a bad idea? What do you guys think? The flight will be 22 hours and I know that I could have morning sickness or fatigue... and I also know that miscarriage is more prevalent in the first trimester so I'm freaking out about this happening while overseas as well.

I want to start TTC as soon as we can but I also don't want to cancel the trip. We could wait a few months and start TTC after our Europe trip but I hate postponing it even further

What do you guys think?

Thanks so much for any thoughts on the topic!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'd still go. As you said its a small chance and truthfully there's not much you could do here or there in case of a miscarriage
    Just make sure you take insurance bothe health and cancelation in case you change your mind.

I was exhausted during the first trimester but it was a lot worse when at work being a computer. When I was out and about in Europe, I was so excited by all the things to do that I just rolled with it.

A friend went to Europe during first trimester too and her only regret was that she was too nauseous to try all the beautiful food.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your reply, ExcuseMyFrench. I really want to go, yes! And I don't want to put my life on hold. I know there is not much you can really do when a miscarriage occurs, I guess I'm just worried that if it DOES occur, I will have to seek medical care in a foreign country I will make sure travel insurance covers everything, but having to seek medical care due to a miscarriage would mean a lot of disruption to the trip especially since part of it is an organised tour!

I'm really torn! Thanks so much for your reply, I really appreciate it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Ah the organized group thing might be a bit of a struggle...
    Especially if you are tired and you want to take thinks slower than planned. Would you be able to do so?

Europe has really good health systems, especially Western Europe. And they speak English.

I'd try to get out of the organized tour if I were you just so you can travel at your own pace but everything else will be fine

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

Lennon  (07-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Last edited by LittleM; 01-03-2015 at 15:03.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to LittleM For This Useful Post:

Lennon  (07-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks LittleM for your reply, it's great to hear others' experiences! Good luck for the rest of your pregnancy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I fell pregnant whilst on a working holiday in Europe. I didn't figure it out until I was 7 or 8 weeks pregnant because I was constantly exhausted.

I ate everything, cycled everywhere and had a great time. After I figured out I was pregnant, I flew home at around 9 weeks. The flight was fine

10. The Following User Says Thank You to nudge88 For This Useful Post:

Lennon  (08-01-2015)