+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Some advice re: Borrowing Breast Pump & Steam Steriliser?

Hi all,

We are expecting in March and a friend has offered to lend us:
    - Hospital-grade breast pump, &:
    - Steam Steriliser.

I'm in charge of doing the research while better half is in charge of growing the baby.

I understand the issues with the breast pump (we are going to buy new tubes and shields), however, am wondering if there are any issues borrowing a steam steriliser?

Thanks for any tips.
    Adam

Thanks
    Reviews
    I hope not.. We did and also hired a steam steriliser while overseas with no issue.
    Steam kills it all but we did do thorough cleans or it in hot soapy water too

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Not that I can think of but I would recommend using demineralised water if possible - it means you will get far less calcium-type build up. If your wife is breastfeeding though then I would expect you wouldn't use it that much.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would check the breast pump to see if it is an open or closed system (Google will help). If it is open I would be wary about using it because of the risk of mould inside the pump.

If it's closed I wouldn't even be panicked about new shields, just give everything a good wash and sterilise it. The steriliser I would be fine to use.

I have bought both secondhand closed pumps and sterilisers in the past.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for all of the replies. They were a great help - we've decided to borrow the lot and sterilise everything (except the shields and tubes for the breast pump). I will check if its a closed system, first (I assume it is - she said it was 'hospital grade').

Thank again. :-)

kiwimum890 is offline It won't happen overnight, but it will happen!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lobsterfish View Post
    Thank you for all of the replies. They were a great help - we've decided to borrow the lot and sterilise everything (except the shields and tubes for the breast pump). I will check if its a closed system, first (I assume it is - she said it was 'hospital grade').

Thank again. :-)
    Yes would recommend you still check as not all hospital grade pumps are closed systems.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to kiwimum890 For This Useful Post:

amyd  (11-01-2015)