+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week

Default Should this Anti-Vacc activist be welcomed into Australia?

Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    See my first initial thought was yours too. But then Lil M really has hit the nail on the head. This isn't just a belief. This is someone not only spreading proven mis-truths she is a danger to public health. I used to believe in each to their own on this topic. I thought meh my kids are fully vaxxed they can do what they want. But the reality is, not vaxxing is ruining our herd immunity and passing illness on to vulnerable people like babies and old people.

So it's not about wanting to deny people for their beliefs. It's wanting to deny a person that could very well mean a substantial risk to our public health.
    This. I was thinking how to word this but you've already said it. And as another pp said, she will be aiming at fence sitters and people who don't hold strong opinions. She really is a danger to public health on the greater whole. Do we let her in? I would love to say no. If we deny her entry then yes, the conspiracy theorists will run with that but if we let her in, we risk damaging the overall wellbeing of our communities. Which is more important?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BH-KatiesMum View Post

There are other ways to debunk what she is saying ... without denying her the rights which our country holds dear.
    Yeah I do see your point and it's a valid one. I'm just not so sure anti vaxxers and their cause can be debunked. Not that they can't, it clearly is, but they refuse to believe it even going against all manner of evidence and fact. So it isn't just as simple as challenging this woman's assertions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by NoteToSelf View Post
    You could say that about a lot of things though i.e. junk food advertising, obesity is causing a serious public health issue.
    Junk food *may* lead to premature death 30 years down the track. Passing on WC to a newborn... that's a hell of a higher risk. I do see your point, and it's one I've argued in the past. Where does it end? Do we really want a nanny state? TBH that doesn't sit with me at all. But yeah.... comparing junk food to communicable illness can't compare.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Chippa  (06-01-2015),HeavenBlue  (06-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    To be honest, I don't think people who hold dangerous views and wish to broadcast those views by holding seminars should be allowed to do so. It doesn't infringe on freedom of speech. Freedom of speech just means that a person can't be imprisoned for expressing said beliefs.

I don't agree with her not being allowed to enter the country, but she should not be allowed to hold talks about a topic that essentially encourages people to put their own children and other people at risk. People like that don't deserve a platform. Anyway, it won't stop her from finding other ways.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to hopeful1986 For This Useful Post:

Meld85  (07-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Until the public health system collapses under the weight of diabetes, heart disease and cancer.

I get what you are saying, I do, I just don't see how this person could be stopped, and it would just buy into the tin hat brigades belief that vax is all about `big pharma' and government control.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to NoteToSelf For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (06-01-2015)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Should she be welcomed - not if you mean getting a red carpet out and a ticker tape parade but I don't think she should be forbidden from entering either. That would smack of censorship and as a general rule I do not advocate censorship. Far better to provide forums where public debate that includes leading scientists/immunologists on the matter where her 'arguments' can be torn to shreds publicly and openly.

I thought this was kind of funny
    https://twitter.com/BusyDrT/status/550662475222630400

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Chippa  (06-01-2015),DT75  (06-01-2015),VicPark  (06-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    See my first initial thought was yours too. But then Lil M really has hit the nail on the head. This isn't just a belief. This is someone not only spreading proven mis-truths she is a danger to public health. I used to believe in each to their own on this topic. I thought meh my kids are fully vaxxed they can do what they want. But the reality is, not vaxxing is ruining our herd immunity and passing illness on to vulnerable people like babies and old people.

So it's not about wanting to deny people for their beliefs. It's wanting to deny a person that could very well mean a substantial risk to our public health.
    I understand, really I do. And my feelings on the issue line up with this exactly.
    But, it is still essentially denying her right of entry based on her belief. By all means they should state clearly that she is an osteopath and not actually qualified to speak on vaccinations.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    One of the biggest problems with anti-vaccers is that for a lot of them, it is the risks associated with vaccinating that is the problem. As in, it is true that vaccinating causes some risks.
    However, they are equatable with the risk of being hit by a car every time you cross a road, and I bet all the anti-vaccers do this somewhat daily.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If people are concerned there is a petition here

http://www.theparenthood.org.au/camp...n=StopTenpenny

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NoteToSelf For This Useful Post:

ArthurDent  (06-01-2015),misstrouble  (07-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews

This pretty much sums up my feelings on this one. I think the anti- vacc movement is dangerous and it really concerns me.