+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    Really? I do that at the moment and I hate it 😒 in fact just fed him to what I thought was asleep, but nope! Wide awake again, so I've put him down alert and happy.... Is that a method that's ever worked?
    I only stopped feeding to sleep when I weaned the kids at 18-20mths old. I could get them to sleep anywhere and anytime. Now I hold their hand. Much less cuddly.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think there are a lot of options between what you're doing now and CIO - although I totally get why it feels so hard!! DS is 5.5mo and just recently started sleeping more than 40min at a time for his naps. I think for him it was a mixture of developmental changes and putting him on formula (not saying you should stop breastfeeding, DS has food intolerances so a bit of a different circumstance for us).

I did persist with getting him to sleep in his cot though, and I think it helped when he was developmentally ready to sleep better. I would watch for the first tired sign (blank stare/looking away, eye rub, grimacing or jerky movements) and take him straight to bed. I am a fan of wrapping/swaddling so I always do it. I use Love To Dream wraps. I would pop him in his wrap, give him a cuddle and tuck him into his cot. Then I'd sit with him/pat/rest a hand on his belly until he fell asleep.

Now I can just wrap him, tuck him in, give him a kiss and walk out - he settles himself off to sleep and has good solid naps. He's also just started sleeping through the night (7pm-6am). I do use a dummy when he wants it, but half the time he's not interested so I don't force it.

This is all based on what I was taught at Tresillian and it has worked well with both my kids who are very different personalities.

Remember that you and your belly bub are just as important as your DD so you deserve sleep/rest just as much as she does. If that means she's grumpy for a few days/weeks while you adjust her sleep habits, so be it. Start small and go at her pace, she'll get there.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (06-01-2015),soulmama  (06-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Whirligig View Post
    Both of mine became shockers for fighting sleep at around 6 mths. Google "object permanence" and have a read. Essentially, at around 6 mths old babies go through a stage of cognitive development that allows them to miss you when you're gone. Before then they're basically "out of sight, out of mind". This can impact on sleep because they learn that you'll put them down once they're asleep, so they fight sleep because they don't want to miss you. That's why your bub sleeps beautifully when you lay down with her. I'll try to find a link.
    Thank you thank you thank you! Thanks for posting the link as well gives so much perspective and I feel a tad guilty for being a bit impatient with her. I'm definitely going to aim for consistency and a solid bedtime routine. Tell me, naturally her bed time has fallen to about 8pm but she cluster feeds for about an hour to an hour and a half before this. Does the cluster feed count in her sleep? As she is asleep but not deep asleep? Or should I count her sleep hours from when she is down at about 8pm and off boob?

Thanks
    Reviews
    And thanks cue! Your reassurance is appreciate

6. The Following User Says Thank You to soulmama For This Useful Post:

Cue  (07-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    You poor thing... Babies can become real turkeys around that age with feeding etc. If bub is eating quite a few solids already that could also be reducing the appetitive for milk (not necessarily a worry).

First up if you are happy feeding to sleep and co-sleeping then that's totally cool. Not my cup if tea but that doesn't really matter!

If you're not happy with the constant wakings/would like to see some change then below are some tips. Take from it what you want

* the use of 'negative' sleep aids refers to aids such as dummy, patting, feeding, rocking to sleep etc. They are called negative simply not because they are evil but simply because they often lead to waking that requires adult intervention to rectify. If bub goes to sleep with a dummy/boob/bottle then when the heaviest part of the nights sleep is over bub will stir between cycles and think "wtf! Where is that boob/bottle/dummy" and crack it.
    - if you can always put bub to bed drowsy but awake. It may be hard to do this cold turkey so you could always stop feeding before bub gets too sleepy, throw in a bit of a pat, then stop patting before bubs eyes close. Each night have more time between the feed and bed, and more time between stopping patting and bubs eyes closing. The end goal at 6 months could be 20 minutes f active play before bed (my ds2 has this). It really helps with self settling and having a good night sleep.

* Always put bub to bed/let them fall asleep where you intend them to wake. If you transfer bub to the cot from your arms after bub falls asleep then at the end of the sleep cycle bub may stir and think "wtf, where am I?"

* Introduce a breathable comforter with your smell on it (eg one of those teddy blankets). Use it at every sleep regardless if whether it is in the pram, cot, your arms. Only use it at sleep time. If you are swaddling consider stopping so bub can touch/snuggle with the comforter (at 6 months most bubs don't need swaddling as they have lost the startle reflex. Many bubs become reliant of swaddles for comfort if left in them too long). My boy absolutely loves his comforter. When he is self settling he doesn't cry - he goes crazy snuggling up to his comforter, it's the funniest thing.

Good luck!
    Good advice here VP. All this is in the sleep guide I followed with ds2. My bub is 4mths old and a great sleeper during the night, up and down some days as he can be a cat napper some days but he's not unbearable or too grumpy so it's fine. Once the boys go back to school I will work on the day sleeps a bit more. I have personally never rocked or patted any of my boys to sleep or used dummies for sleep, just never wanted to get into these habits. Ds has a snuggle rug as did ds2. I wish I had the sleep guide for ds1! I have always let bubs sleep in his rocker, pram or wherever during the day to get used to noise considering he has 2 older brothers running around. He loves his pram which is great as I'm a big walker often out and about and have the boys sports etc. All my boys have slept really well in the pram.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by soulmama View Post
    Thank you thank you thank you! Thanks for posting the link as well gives so much perspective and I feel a tad guilty for being a bit impatient with her. I'm definitely going to aim for consistency and a solid bedtime routine. Tell me, naturally her bed time has fallen to about 8pm but she cluster feeds for about an hour to an hour and a half before this. Does the cluster feed count in her sleep? As she is asleep but not deep asleep? Or should I count her sleep hours from when she is down at about 8pm and off boob?
    You're welcome! I find it helps to know the reason for a behaviour (where possible - it's hard with babies!) I'd count from when I put her down, but do whatever works for you.