+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 6 month old hates sleep

My 6 month old resists sleep like no ones business. I used to be able to get her to sleep by breastfeeding, which I am OK with but there are becoming more times where she is tired but just gets too distracted, even in a darkened, quiet room. She will fall asleep in my arms or on my bed but when I transfer her she wakes. She usually sleeps in short cycles on 20-30 mins, rare occasions she sleeps for an hour. If I lay there with her or hold her she will sleep beautifully. At night I'm up every couple of hours even though we co sleep as she wakes searching for boob. If I try and take her cues of rubbing eyes or yawns and put her to sleep it doesn't seem to matter she just resists and is happy to be near me. I am so tired, I'm pregnant and I'm so scared that I'm going to have to do CIO with her to get her to sleep. Please! What are your tips?! I have two other kids also and this is sapping the life out of me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Oh soulmama, I've *so* been there. You have my sympathies. Luckily for me, it was my first and I didn't have other children to care for, so I did just lie down with her for every sleep. But, it's not that easy with other kids to care for, is it? Have you tried one of those electric swings? They put babies to sleep like a charm. If you have the strength you could try baby wearing her for her naps during the day. Ergos are pretty good.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I used the 'pat and shh' method with both of my girls. There will be tears, but bub won't be alone.

Lay bub down awake.
    If bub starts grizzling, pat their tummy and 'shh shh'.
    As soon as bub cries, pick them up and cuddle until settled, then lay back down.
    If bub wakes up after a short time but is happy, treat it like they've had a full sleep. They will eventually start sleeping for more than one cycle at a time.

You will have to repeat those steps several times at first, but it will gradually become less frequent. It's all about teaching bub that you're there as soon as they need you, but that it's okay to go back to sleep.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

Freyamum  (28-01-2015),HollyGolightly81  (06-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    You poor thing... Babies can become real turkeys around that age with feeding etc. If bub is eating quite a few solids already that could also be reducing the appetitive for milk (not necessarily a worry).

First up if you are happy feeding to sleep and co-sleeping then that's totally cool. Not my cup if tea but that doesn't really matter!

If you're not happy with the constant wakings/would like to see some change then below are some tips. Take from it what you want

* the use of 'negative' sleep aids refers to aids such as dummy, patting, feeding, rocking to sleep etc. They are called negative simply not because they are evil but simply because they often lead to waking that requires adult intervention to rectify. If bub goes to sleep with a dummy/boob/bottle then when the heaviest part of the nights sleep is over bub will stir between cycles and think "wtf! Where is that boob/bottle/dummy" and crack it.
    - if you can always put bub to bed drowsy but awake. It may be hard to do this cold turkey so you could always stop feeding before bub gets too sleepy, throw in a bit of a pat, then stop patting before bubs eyes close. Each night have more time between the feed and bed, and more time between stopping patting and bubs eyes closing. The end goal at 6 months could be 20 minutes f active play before bed (my ds2 has this). It really helps with self settling and having a good night sleep.

* Always put bub to bed/let them fall asleep where you intend them to wake. If you transfer bub to the cot from your arms after bub falls asleep then at the end of the sleep cycle bub may stir and think "wtf, where am I?"

* Introduce a breathable comforter with your smell on it (eg one of those teddy blankets). Use it at every sleep regardless if whether it is in the pram, cot, your arms. Only use it at sleep time. If you are swaddling consider stopping so bub can touch/snuggle with the comforter (at 6 months most bubs don't need swaddling as they have lost the startle reflex. Many bubs become reliant of swaddles for comfort if left in them too long). My boy absolutely loves his comforter. When he is self settling he doesn't cry - he goes crazy snuggling up to his comforter, it's the funniest thing.

Good luck!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Whirligig  (06-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Sorry to derail but can anyone explain drowsy but awake? I'm always confused as to how sleepy they should be when putting them down. Is it when they start doing big blinks? Or is it when they have one eye closed and the other still slightly open or is that gone further than drowsy?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    Sorry to derail but can anyone explain drowsy but awake? I'm always confused as to how sleepy they should be when putting them down. Is it when they start doing big blinks? Or is it when they have one eye closed and the other still slightly open or is that gone further than drowsy?
    For me, drowsy but awake is not straight after something really stimulating; when bub is calm and cuddly, not crying because they're over tired. It's usually after the first sign of being tired.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (06-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    This for me is eyes drifting shut but not closed. So almost asleep but not deep sleep.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (06-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Ideally especially in bubs older than 3 months they should be fully awake. Like even though they may be a little tired they are playing and smiling with you right beforehand. 20 mins active play after the last feed before bed.

In younger bubs or older bubs you are not comfortable going cold turkey with then start off slowly... Eg stop patting/feeding/rocking when bub has drooping/blindly eyes but before bub closes their eyes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Ideally especially in bubs older than 3 months they should be fully awake. Like even though they may be a little tired they are playing and smiling with you right beforehand. 20 mins active play after the last feed before bed.

In younger bubs or older bubs you are not comfortable going cold turkey with then start off slowly... Eg stop patting/feeding/rocking when bub has drooping/blindly eyes but before bub closes their eyes.
    How is that drowsy but awake? For me a kid that's smiling and has just been playing is a fully awake kid and unlikely to sleep in the near future.

I also don't understand how you can have active play before a sleep? I encourage a wind down/calm down before naps/bedtime.

Is this a SOS thing?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    How is that drowsy but awake? For me a kid that's smiling and has just been playing is a fully awake kid and unlikely to sleep in the near future.

I also don't understand how you can have active play before a sleep? I encourage a wind down/calm down before naps/bedtime.

Is this a SOS thing?

Apologies...let me clarify. I only recommend drowsy (droopy eyes about to nod off but not quite there) but awake for either very young bubs or bubs who have been assisted to sleep (fed/rocked/patted) and parents are trying to wean them off this. The drowsy but awake is the starting point but not the end goal.

Active play should be age appropriate. And you're right, not too much stimulation, just as long as they are active. For a young bub having cuddles and smiling at mum. For a 6 month old having a crawl around on the floor looking at some toys (I personally would turn the TV off to keep is calmer but whatever floats your boat). My 10 month old cracked around, plays with his toys, tries to wrestle dad. My toddler will read books in his own, play with his dolly and try his best to talk mum and dad into giving him a chocolate. Of course ensuring the child isn't too tired at bedtime (whether you are in a routine or not) is also key.

The idea is that active play before bed prevents the so- called negative sleep aids from forming (bub reliant on being rocked etc) and helps bub learn to sled settle. And bubs/children that aren't reliant on those aids generally find it easier to sleep through. It's not just a SOS thing...sleep aids causing night wakings etc is one common train of thought amongst various experts/publishers.