+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post
    I find the concept of cutting out every thing on the list at once overwhelming. I already had 600 numbers excluded, so now working on nitrites (set off DH's athsma) which is hard as DD and I love salami! Plus preservative free bread.

Next step for me will be colours.
    Thanks, I buy woolworths baked in store bread which I have read is ok. http://fedup.com.au/news/breaking-ne...re-baked-bread
    I'm really looking at trying to improve his behaviour so that would be my focus.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by WiseOldOwl View Post
    Thanks, I buy woolworths baked in store bread which I have read is ok. http://fedup.com.au/news/breaking-ne...re-baked-bread
    I'm really looking at trying to improve his behaviour so that would be my focus.
    What are the concerning parts of his behaviour? Hyper? Poor concentration? Aggression? Some specific additives seem to impact on these more frequently, whereas others negatively impact of general health/digestion/sleep (which in turn impacts on behaviour).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'm so confused. Don't know where to start.
    I just try cut out all packaged food, we aim for 80/20 as long as 80% of our food is free of harmful preservatives and additives the other small amounts we have when we go out should be ok , I don't do it for behavioural problems more general health and it does get easier once you work out which products to buy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    What are the concerning parts of his behaviour? Hyper? Poor concentration? Aggression? Some specific additives seem to impact on these more frequently, whereas others negatively impact of general health/digestion/sleep (which in turn impacts on behaviour).
    Do you know which ones are recommended to avoid for behavioural issues?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Throwing things, hitting, biting, constant defiance (ie touch things he knows not to), not listening are the main things. It's really starting to get me to breaking point.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Throwing things, hitting, biting, constant defiance (ie touch things he knows not to), not listening are the main things. It's really starting to get me to breaking point.
    It's mostly anecdotal (I'm not a big fan of things not being backed up by hard evidence, so I apologise) but I have seen specific colours as the worst (different problem colour for different kids) and, purely based on what I see in DD and the recess snacks of kids I teach, flavour enhancers.

To make things less daunting, I would start with these colours:

Colours - artificial

102 Tartrazine
    110 Sunset yellow FCF
    122 Azorubine
    123 Amaranth
    124 Ponceau 4R
    127 Erythrosine
    129 Allura red AC
    132 Indigotine
    133 Brilliant blue FCF
    142 Food green S
    151 Brilliant black BN
    155 Brown HT

Colour - natural
    160b Annatto extracts

Plus flavour enhancers (600 numbers). They are in so, so many packaged savoury foods from stock cubes, to flavoured chips, crackers and popcorn, pasta and cooking sauces, 2 minutes noodles and pasta-with-sauce packets, seasoning sachets, gravies, sausage rolls and pies, fish fingers etc.

Don't trust if the packet says "no MSG" on the front, only one 600 number is MSG, the others still cause reactions. There are still heaps of packet choices that do not have these, it varies from brand and even variety within a brand - eg. Pizza and Savoury shapes have no 600s, every other Shape and In-a-Biscuit have them.

Give it a few weeks of total elimination, especially as your DS is young. Now DD is older and bigger, her body can deal with a little bit with no reaction (eg. 4-5 flavoured corn chips) whereas at 3 that would have been enough to set her off.

Then, if you're not having any success, move on to eliminating artificial flavours and preservatives.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

WiseOldOwl  (07-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Back to my own kids, I've just had two nights from hell with 19mo DS and I assumed he'd developed another ear infection. Was at the doctors this morning and he got a clean bill of health.

I did change his bread though, as I'm trying him on a low-fibre diet. I checked the label for 'preservatives' but didn't realise vinegar could be a problem until I was reading a link from this thread.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's mostly anecdotal (I'm not a big fan of things not being backed up by hard evidence, so I apologise) but I have seen specific colours as the worst (different problem colour for different kids) and, purely based on what I see in DD and the recess snacks of kids I teach, flavour enhancers.

To make things less daunting, I would start with these colours:

Colours - artificial

102 Tartrazine
    110 Sunset yellow FCF
    122 Azorubine
    123 Amaranth
    124 Ponceau 4R
    127 Erythrosine
    129 Allura red AC
    132 Indigotine
    133 Brilliant blue FCF
    142 Food green S
    151 Brilliant black BN
    155 Brown HT

Colour - natural
    160b Annatto extracts

Plus flavour enhancers (600 numbers). They are in so, so many packaged savoury foods from stock cubes, to flavoured chips, crackers and popcorn, pasta and cooking sauces, 2 minutes noodles and pasta-with-sauce packets, seasoning sachets, gravies, sausage rolls and pies, fish fingers etc.

Don't trust if the packet says "no MSG" on the front, only one 600 number is MSG, the others still cause reactions. There are still heaps of packet choices that do not have these, it varies from brand and even variety within a brand - eg. Pizza and Savoury shapes have no 600s, every other Shape and In-a-Biscuit have them.

Give it a few weeks of total elimination, especially as your DS is young. Now DD is older and bigger, her body can deal with a little bit with no reaction (eg. 4-5 flavoured corn chips) whereas at 3 that would have been enough to set her off.

Then, if you're not having any success, move on to eliminating artificial flavours and preservatives.
    Thank you so much for this. I"ll use this list as a starting point. One thing that has been observed with him by his daycare staff is that when someone has a birthday and they have an ice-cream cake he goes hyper afterwards. So I definately think that colours could be involved.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    I'm joining in too. My eldest boy is 4 and just lately he has been complaining about a sore tummy after some foods. It seems to only be chocolate products (chocolate custard and choc uht milk) and the only numbers are in the 400's. Does anyone know if they cause problems?
    I've just checked out the numbers and it appears 2 of the 3 (they were 407,466,467) can cause abdominal pain etc. Now to start being picky at the supermarket.

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    This blog post reminded me of this thread, thought i would link it

http://additivefreepantry.com/blog/8...ds-for-infants