+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Anyone else preservative & additive free??

Quote Originally Posted by Gothel View Post
    That's great! You know your son best so trust your instincts Its great just to have a happy kid isn't it? And fab that your exH is on board too. It took me a long time to get DH fully on board, he's 100% on board now thankfully. The difference in dd7 is amazing. If she has had a dose of something she loses it at the slightest thing, her threshold for dealing with frustration drops through the floor and life gets very tough for us all. Off additives she's an absolute delight of a kid. Its like a switch.

Hey do you know the bicarb soda trick? If he's had a dose of something, let him sit in a bath with a handful of bicarb soda for a while, it takes down the reaction. Epsom salts do the same thing. It an cause dehydration so give a good drink of water and don't do it every day for a week, but its a good fix if he's having a bad day
    Oh I've not heard of that before. Thanks

Yeah I was a little hesitant to research it all before as he generally eats well anyway. I've always avoided packet food and made things from scratch but since actually making a huge effort to check in things it is unbelievable the difference. It's a bit tricky around other people though. I don't want to be nagging and say no to others but I think I might just have to explain the situation a little more.

Does everyone use A2 milk?? I'm starting to question him on it.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Theboys&me For This Useful Post:

Gothel  (06-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'd like to try this but DS eats such a small selection of food now that I don't know what he would eat anything at all.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to WiseOldOwl For This Useful Post:

Gothel  (06-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I try.

Probably the main downfall is sauces, I occasionally make a batch of chutney but for example, we had some mayo with dinner last night and that had an antioxidant number on it (not a huge deal I know). Aside from sauces I rarely buy anything in packets. It is disheartening how much has 202/282 (?) in it.

I don't notice any difference in anyone's behavior but I feel happier if we are eating as cleanly as possible (We still have hot chips from the fisho etc, we are not angels!).

Does anyone know which brands of sauces are the best? i.e. mayo, sweet chilli, tomato (shock horror lol) etc. I shop at Aldi but will go to the big 2 for something specific if I need to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm joining in too. My eldest boy is 4 and just lately he has been complaining about a sore tummy after some foods. It seems to only be chocolate products (chocolate custard and choc uht milk) and the only numbers are in the 400's. Does anyone know if they cause problems?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    I'm joining in too. My eldest boy is 4 and just lately he has been complaining about a sore tummy after some foods. It seems to only be chocolate products (chocolate custard and choc uht milk) and the only numbers are in the 400's. Does anyone know if they cause problems?
    Are you sure it's not just the dairy? DS2 complains of a sore stomach after some dairy products. Milk tends to be a bigger culprit than say cheese. I think it's to do with the amount of lactose because a lot of people sensitive to milk can still tolerate cheese. I'm not entirely sure of the theory behind it as it was a while ago i read about it, but it might be worth looking in to?

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Theboys&me View Post
    Oh I've not heard of that before. Thanks

Yeah I was a little hesitant to research it all before as he generally eats well anyway. I've always avoided packet food and made things from scratch but since actually making a huge effort to check in things it is unbelievable the difference. It's a bit tricky around other people though. I don't want to be nagging and say no to others but I think I might just have to explain the situation a little more.

Does everyone use A2 milk?? I'm starting to question him on it.
    yep its often just a case of making a swap from one brand to another. Yes it can be painful around others, lots of people don't understand. Its OK for us because dd7 is diary allergic and has fructose malabsorption so at least I can dazzle them with some big words, that usually shuts people up ha ha!

As for the A2 milk I can't comment. It has a different protein which is supposed to be easier to tolerate. The lactose is the same as other milks though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by NoteToSelf View Post
    I try.

Probably the main downfall is sauces, I occasionally make a batch of chutney but for example, we had some mayo with dinner last night and that had an antioxidant number on it (not a huge deal I know). Aside from sauces I rarely buy anything in packets. It is disheartening how much has 202/282 (?) in it.

I don't notice any difference in anyone's behavior but I feel happier if we are eating as cleanly as possible (We still have hot chips from the fisho etc, we are not angels!).

Does anyone know which brands of sauces are the best? i.e. mayo, sweet chilli, tomato (shock horror lol) etc. I shop at Aldi but will go to the big 2 for something specific if I need to.
    We get the Best Foods mayo, its expensive but lasts forever and is safe. And Mon tomato sauce is gluten free and no nasties, you can find it in Coles with the rest of the tomato sauces. We use Masterfoods bbq sauce and Kikkoman gluten free soy sauce. We get our hot chips from a shop in the next suburb that caters for coeliacs, they have a dedicated GF fryer. Some places advertise that they cook only in rice bran oil etc.

Aldi are usually pretty good I think, they have a rep for avoiding the nasties. We can't use a lot of their stuff tho. We do buy their rice cakes, they are 100% brown rice and no additives.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    Are you sure it's not just the dairy? DS2 complains of a sore stomach after some dairy products. Milk tends to be a bigger culprit than say cheese. I think it's to do with the amount of lactose because a lot of people sensitive to milk can still tolerate cheese. I'm not entirely sure of the theory behind it as it was a while ago i read about it, but it might be worth looking in to?
    You just gotta look at the nutrition panel, the lower the number under carbohydtrates, the less lactose is in it. EG hard cheeses have <1g sugar, so are practically lactose free. DD5 is dairy intolerant but she can handle hard cheeses OK. She loves Babybel (my purse doesn't though ha ha) but if she eats too much yoghurt she totally loses her appetite.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    If you have a look in the factsheets area of the FedUp website, you should find something on the 400's and what problems they are known to cause.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Gothel For This Useful Post:

amyd  (07-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thank you for that. We are not gluten free, but with clean eating I have noticed a big reduction in the amount of gluten we are eating.

I will keep an eye out for that mayo. I've also seen Fountain does a sugar free sauce range. I'm not sure what else is in them though
    http://www.fountainsauces.com.au/tvc.php

I've switched to coconut Aminos instead of soy, I really like it!

Aldi has a lot of good products, but a lot of their products have that 202/282 (can't remember which one) preservative in it. I know they avoid artificial colors and flavors in their products though.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast