+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The other thing to look into, if food elimination gets you nowhere, vitamin/mineral deficiencies and excess heavy metals (eg. copper) can be a cause for behaviour problems as well. I think it's a hair test for the metals and a blood test for deficiencies. When I attended a talk by Dr Alison Knight, who works in the field, she said that even if vitamin/mineral levels are at the low end of the scale supplements are recommended. This is aparently because the 'healthy range' that comes with lab results changes over time, so as the general population start to have lower levels of, eg. iron, the range lowers to reflect this.

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Theboys&me View Post
    Gah!! I just realised the typo in the title :/
    I'll fix it for you now

Eta - done
    Last edited by Mod-biscotti; 05-01-2015 at 21:37.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by [Mod] biscotti View Post
    I'll fix it for you now

Eta - done
    Thanks 😘

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I'm interested in trying this with DS2. I'm currently weaning him off dairy then will probably and unfortunately remove gluten as they are believed to affect the behaviour of autistic children. Then p & a will come next if need be. PITA, but i'd rather try this than drug such a young child.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

Gothel  (06-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Subbing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Subbing, I went additive and preservative free with ds1 a couple of months ago and have noticed a difference. Still slip up lots though

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    No I just used normal cocoa. I did read in the fedup site though that light brown sugar is better than brown sugar ... Something to do with molasses I think??

I honestly think he's a kid who's do better without sugar anyway so I'm happy to take that out as much as possible too. I'm not limiting any fruit though - I'm going to start making notes of what he eats and his behaviour just to see if there's a link.
    What brand of cocoa did you use? We use the Nestle Baking cocoa (red tin) which is the only safe one I have found. There might be others though, we settled on that a few years back and stick with it. It's still high in amines as a pp mentioned, but no nasty flavourings added.
    Last edited by Gothel; 06-01-2015 at 06:37.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Gothel For This Useful Post:

Taiyed  (14-01-2015)

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    The changes are just such a calmness in him. He gets almost 'hyper' when he has something with P&A. I'm starting to take notes as well - today he was off his nut... I'd made brownies with brown sugar. I've made other things before with different sugar and it's not too bad. I'll test it again with the brownies in a few days. It could just be coincidence... But both my exH and I made the changes and both strongly believe it affects him.
    That's great! You know your son best so trust your instincts Its great just to have a happy kid isn't it? And fab that your exH is on board too. It took me a long time to get DH fully on board, he's 100% on board now thankfully. The difference in dd7 is amazing. If she has had a dose of something she loses it at the slightest thing, her threshold for dealing with frustration drops through the floor and life gets very tough for us all. Off additives she's an absolute delight of a kid. Its like a switch.

Hey do you know the bicarb soda trick? If he's had a dose of something, let him sit in a bath with a handful of bicarb soda for a while, it takes down the reaction. Epsom salts do the same thing. It an cause dehydration so give a good drink of water and don't do it every day for a week, but its a good fix if he's having a bad day