+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Anyone else preservative & addictive free??

DP and I have been doing it for 4-5 years now. We started a couple of years before we had our boys, but I can certainly tell if my eldest has eaten a food colouring.

I pretty much do the same as @Elijahs Mum . I buy very little packaged or pre-made food. I also avoid most household chemicals/cleaners/personal care items. It was a hard adjustment to make at first but now I don't even think about it.

There's a great website I use to look up additive numbers, which uses a traffic light system. It's got tons of great info. Not sure if I'm allowed to mention it or not?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yeah I've never been one to buy packet food ... But I do use butter and bread and it was even in those!! A few changes and we have been going well. I've always made things from scratch - I've just had to change a few ingredients and brands.

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yep 282 in bread can be nasty! We buy nuttelex or pure butter (which we can bake with). It drives me wild when people start slagging off margarine, yes it's artificial but some people don't have very many options!

Edit: that's fab that you are seeing good changes, what kind of changes do you see and what additives do you think are the cuplrit? Or is it "just" a general improvement?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Are you milling your own flour?

Thanks
    Reviews
    The changes are just such a calmness in him. He gets almost 'hyper' when he has something with P&A. I'm starting to take notes as well - today he was off his nut... I'd made brownies with brown sugar. I've made other things before with different sugar and it's not too bad. I'll test it again with the brownies in a few days. It could just be coincidence... But both my exH and I made the changes and both strongly believe it affects him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Gah!! I just realised the typo in the title :/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The brownies don't have cacao in them by any chance? DD went a bit loopy after having a smoothy with cacao at a friend's house. I researched at the time and couldn't get a conclusion, but some sources said it is higher in caffeine than cocoa.

DD reacts to flavour enhancers, but thankfully does not react to free glutamate nor 'almost msg' things like vegemite. It is probably one specific 600 number that is the problem but I don't have the heart to test to find out which one! There is no mistaking her behaviour when she's had it, but I'm still wondering if there are other things setting her off to a lesser extent but haven't been able to pin anything down.

I've been trying to make more from scratch, especially snack foods, but finding it hard to make the time. Plus DS is is such a fussy eater, and is currently on a low-fibre diet, he just gets what he eats - white bread and crackers ahoy!

Thanks
    Reviews
    No I just used normal cocoa. I did read in the fedup site though that light brown sugar is better than brown sugar ... Something to do with molasses I think??

I honestly think he's a kid who's do better without sugar anyway so I'm happy to take that out as much as possible too. I'm not limiting any fruit though - I'm going to start making notes of what he eats and his behaviour just to see if there's a link.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I tried this a few years ago, but when I researched and looked at our grocery items, I realised that I was already buying pretty much everything preservative free anyway! I was a little bit chuffed lol. The only things I had to cut out was margarine and sliced meats. I saw no difference in behaviour or eczema from cutting those things out, and since we enjoy them, I re-introduced them after 6 months or so.

Nowadays most things are still preservative free but I'm not bothered for them to have some store-bought crackers/chips etc every so often.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by crankyoldcow View Post
    Sue Dengate does say that light brown sugar is better than dark brown sugar. However it could have been the cocoa - it is on the no go list for the full Fed Up elimination diet because it contains amines.

ETA you could use carob powder instead of cocoa. It's not very nice though.
    I think I'll just skip it altogether. There are plenty of other treats I can bake without cocoa hey