+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Running a market stall - tips and advice appreciated!

I've decided (and hope to follow through with it!) to set up a stall in February when our local Sunday markets start up again.

Lots of the stalls sell preloved goods like clothes, handbags, toys etc. I'm thinking of selling stuff like that.

Just wondering if anyone has any tips/advice for the general running of a market stall? Things like how to manage change, keeping comfortable for the day, presentation, pricing items etc.

The markets are pretty casual - most stalls just have a trestle table and/or picnic blanket laid out with their wares on them. It only costs $10 to have a stall, so I'm thinking it should be worthwhile. They run for 4 hours in the morning, so it won't be a full day out in the sun (thank goodness).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    One way to learn is to do it and talk to other stall holders around you on the day. I've only done a handful of markets and they're each different. It could be busy or quiet, you could sell heaps or not, depends on the people coming through on the day. Take something to do or read in case it's quiet. A bumbag for change is handy. Let people browse in peace if they want to just look, and chat to those that want a conversation. I'm not a good sales person myself so hopefully someone else will chip in and we'll both learn something useful!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to debsch For This Useful Post:

bounty  (05-01-2015),Mod-Degrassi  (05-01-2015)

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    IMHO presentation is key. I would be 50 times more likely to buy items from someone who has taken the care and time to beautifully present things in a pleasing manner over someone who just threw out what they had in any old way.
    I would stop and actually look through hat you had, whereas I would just walk past the other type of stall.

Something easy like a brown paper runner (you know those giant rolls you can get?) along your trestle table with item name, price and condition written in black texta on the runner. A few vases of flowers etc to make it pretty. Even a bunting if you happen to have one handy (like, who doesn't?!)

As for handling money, I like the bum bag idea- they're so trendy right now! But your money will never be out of sight even if you're chatting to someone.
    Change- I would have around $80 in change, depending on the average price of your items. Lots of gold coins and $5 and $10 notes.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

Mod-Degrassi  (05-01-2015)

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    presentation means a lot

- have a nice tablecloth
    - dont try and shove everything on the table at once
    - have a bumbag with change so that you can talk/give change/sell on the go
    - take plenty of cool drinks/ice if its hot - you dont want to have to be wandering off to get drinks all the time
    - take an umbrella/shade thingy if its hot

have fun

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by '[Mod
    As for handling money, I like the bum bag idea- they're so trendy right now!
    I have waited all my life for a legitimate reason to wear a fanny pack

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

amyd  (05-01-2015),Mod-Nomsie  (05-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you have a PayPal account, I recommend looking into PayPal Here. It's an app you can download onto your phone or tablet and it allows you to take credit and debit sales. I find that a lot more people are willing to buy (and buy more) once they know that you take cards.

Also, take lots of business cards with your website/Facebook/email on them

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Belle201 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have a market stall for my business around once a month.
    Presentation is the key. It has to look good, be tidy, colourful, and look professional.
    Keep money out of sight.
    Price everything.
    Have business cards on display.
    Be friendly and talk to everyone.
    Don't sit down while people are about!
    Lot of change - I carry $200
    Get to know your neighbours

Good luck!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Lincolns mummy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I do market stalls for my business, which is a bit different but what attracts me to second hand clothing stores is it being neatly presented and not strewn everywhere.

This is what I would do -
    Iron the clothing to make them look neat.
    Use a big table cloth (or a double sheet from the Reject Shop) over the table
    If you have heaps of clothes, maybe have 2 tables in an L shape.
    I'd definitely use a hanging rack on the side of the table for the dresses/skirts/blouses.
    Put all the shorts together and stagger them down (if that makes sense). Then tops/ singlets etc etc so that its easy to sort through.
    Price everything!!! This is important as some are too shy to ask for a price and will just put it back.
    Money wise - I use a $150-$200 float. If everything is priced in whole dollars (so much easier) of course you then dont have to bother with silver. Be expected to be handed a lot of $50 and $20 notes.
    You can use a lunch box for your 'till' or get a bumbag (this is mine https://www.etsy.com/listing/6479676..._home_active_3)
    Wear cool & comfortable clothing. Take a bottle of water and snacks that aren't messy
    Stand up and look lively :-)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Bennos Mummy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennos Mummy View Post
    You can use a lunch box for your 'till' or get a bumbag (this is mine https://www.etsy.com/listing/6479676..._home_active_3)
    Hey it's a ruffle-bum for grown-ups!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing. I would love to have a market stall sometime this year.