+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Telling pregnant people what to eat...

This is kind of a spin off from the 'do you drink while pregnant' thread. Just wondering if you have had someone tell you what to/suggest what you should eat while pregnant.

My memorable one was at coffee club while ordering an iced coffee. I was very visibly pregnant and the cashier very nicely asked me if I wanted it decaf. I hadn't even realised that was an option and really appreciated that she would think of asking. There was no judgement and it was asked in the same way you would ask 'would you like fries with that?'

I now make an effort to ask pregnant friends if they would like decaf at my place. I figure lots of people would assume that most people wouldn't have decaf in the house.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'd be horrified if anyone suggested decaf to me- ever

3. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

AngelicHobgoblin  (05-01-2015),BettyW  (04-01-2015),DT75  (06-01-2015),KitiK  (04-01-2015),LoCo  (04-01-2015),NancyBlackett  (04-01-2015),peanuthead  (05-01-2015),SHAELEEJANE  (04-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    To answer though- it's fine to offer options to someone- preg or not. It's not ok to literally tell them what they can and cannot eat.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (04-01-2015),~Marigold~  (04-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Telling pregnant people what to eat...

I had someone tell me I couldn't eat normal block cheese lol I'm lactose intolerant and barely eat cheese anyway.

Then one of my family members told me I couldn't have icecream (normal in the tub icecream) otherwise the baby would get sick! Haha was funny as

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I drink a mix of decaf and caffeine with coffee. I keep to my limit and once I reach it I go to decaf.

Having said that, I get antzy if someone, even DH suggests decaf. Because I feel like they are treating me like a child. I will moderate my coffee consumption and will ask for decaf when and if I want it! It's no one else's job to suggest or hint what I should consume. Not saying that is what you are doing OP, I'm sure your intentions are good, but it really annoys me.... and not just with caffeine but with everything during pg.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    When pregnant, I worked in an RSL club which obviously has restaurants. I used to regularly order a particular Thai stir fry dish I loved which had a fair amount of chili in it. Everyone from the cashier, to the staff waiting my table at lunch to colleagues at my table all had something to say about me eating chili when pregnant. I didn't realize it was open for discussion!

DP was a bit of a food nazi for policing what I was eating in regards to the standard pregnancy eating do's and dont's. Fair enough but he would then go down to the deli and get a whole bunch of cold meats etc and eat it in front of me! Whilst polishing it off with a beer!! Wth!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    I'd be horrified if anyone suggested decaf to me- ever
    Ha ha, me too!

Thanks
    Reviews
    No I don't recall anyone ever telling me what to eat, they just mostly commented on how much I ate! I ate loads!

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I informed my SIL about certain no go foods when she fell pregnant with her first baby but it wasn't in a negative, intrusive/bossy way; she genuinely had no idea about things like listeria etc so I filled her in and explained about the dangers associated with certain foods.
    I think there's a difference between offering advice and dictating, if that makes sense.
    I'd be appreciative to any advice if it meant the possible prevention of a serious complication with my unborn, but I can't stand people wagging their fingers or policing others.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (05-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    Never had anyone try and tell me what I should/shouldn't eat while pregnant. It was more me being paranoid and telling people I couldn't have certain things when they offered them to me!