+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You need to suss out your works parental leave scheme too. Some don't pay you but some do. For example I'm a solo mum so my income is it. I work for a big multinational and they gave me 14 weeks full pay off as their maternity leave scheme. I opted to take it at half pay so it lasted 28 weeks. At the same time I was getting the government PPL, which made my salary good while I wasn't working. I also took long service leave at half pay (some companies let you access it early in conjunction with maternity leave) and some annual leave. So I got 9 months off all up. I worked right up to 38.5 weeks to spend the most time of my time off with my baby (12hr shifts including night shifts on my feet but I have no regrets).

It's bloody hard work having a baby. But wonderful. Although everyone thinks time off is to spend time with the baby, in most cases you need it just from exhaustion. Babies don't sleep well usually. Can you get a few hours sleep all night, get up at 6, get bubs ready for care, get yourself ready while holding a baby that won't be put down, then you're dressed and they spew on you, drop them off at care, then go to work.

However I should also say if you want kids have them. My bubbas are IVF, and I've just watched my sister go though a 14 IVF cycles to end in a miscarriage at 14 weeks. It's expensive and heartbreaking. Never ever put off having kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazza78 View Post
    If your a worker and dh earns under 150k then you will get $641 per week for 18weeks plus any workplace leave
    I was of the impression PPL takes only the parent taking PPLs income into account therefore her DH income doesn't matter? I have recently applied & been approved & DF earns $150k, the question of his income was never raised. Hope that helps OP.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ChelleBH View Post
    I was of the impression PPL takes only the parent taking PPLs income into account therefore her DH income doesn't matter? I have recently applied & been approved & DF earns $150k, the question of his income was never raised. Hope that helps OP.
    That's what I also thought.