+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Going back to work straight away

Hi all. I don't really know where to post this. I wanted to know if there are any of you out there who became pregnant and had the baby and pretty much had to go straight back to work? I don't want this post to start any arguments or negative stuff. I honestly want to know if this happens. Hubby and I are both working and due to some bad choices in the past have found ourselves in a lot of debt, but we are desperate to have a child. At this stage we can't fall pregnant and have been trying for over 4 years. To be able to cover our debts i would have to return to work straight away, and i wanted to hear from other women who have had to do the same thing. I hope you can help with some feedback.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ending 5/6/15100 Posts in a week
    I was meant to go straight back to work at 6 weeks after baby but a fww rhings happened beyong my control. I would budget for 12 months off and you can always head back sooner

I would make sure you have a back up plan. What if bubs is sick and needs extra help? What if they are micro prem? What if you end up on bed rest for the whole pregnancy?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry if this is a stupid suggestion that you've already considered, but just checking you're aware of the government's paid parental leave scheme?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I was supposed to go back to work full time after my ppl finished however it wasn't worth the child care we would have to pay. So with FTB and working 1 day a week either Saturday or sunday we can afford for me to stay home.
    We also have a lot of debt with me not going back full time we just have to budget a bit better.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm sorry to hear that you are struggling with fertility and money. It's a tough place to be.

If you don't have family to look after bubs when you go back to work make sure you check out paid care options. We don't have any family around us, so we have to pay for care while we work. My 2 kids are in family day care (like a centre but runs by mums in their own homes with the same rules). For 3 days a week each it's nearly $1000 a fortnight. It's our second biggest outgoing cost after the mortgage!! We do get money back from CCR, but not all of it (about 50%) and the initial outgoing cost is frightening. With forecasts paid care will increase 30% in the next couple of years, these costs will get worse. I shudder to think what it will cost by 2020!

And around where I live, paid child care is also not readily available. We needed to fit in to when a spot was available, rather than when I was ready to go back to work. I think this is a common problem. In inner Sydney my SIL is having to take an extra 6 months off at least because she can't get her bubs in to paid day care in July 2015 like she planned. But she is still not sure because she has to hope for a place in 2016, which aren't going to be organized until November 2015.

There are a lot of things to work out once you have bubs that will significantly impact your life and your financial situation. I always tell people, if you want time, money and sleep, don't have a baby. That's a joke of course. I wouldn't change anything!

Good luck with your fertility journey. I hope it works out for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you looked into paid parental leave and everything you would be entitled to through Centrelink?
    Have you looked at childcare waiting lists and price in your area? Does it make it worthwhile going back?
    I would have a back up plan in case bub is sick, you take a while to recover etc
    Don't underestimate your mummy instincts either, returning to work will be the last thing you will want to do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ending 5/6/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Lincolns mummy View Post
    Don't underestimate your mummy instincts either, returning to work will be the last thing you will want to do.
    Not everyone wants to stay home after a baby. Comments like this guilt women into the role when sometimes they want to return to work. I want to return as i hate being at home but my baby is sick and has medical issues.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Maxwell's Silver Hammer For This Useful Post:

DizzyDaisy  (04-01-2015),Donnab739  (04-01-2015),Happy Camper  (04-01-2015),littleriv  (04-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Currently 18 weeks at minimum wage is on offer ( if you're eligible). It has been proposed that 6 months at your rate of pay is going to be given. This of course is if you can get the time off work.

Childcare is a huge issue. We put our name down on dozens when I was pregnant. My DD is now 16 months and we still haven't got a place from some of them ( despite regular contact asking about space).
    Childcare will also cost us 13.5k for a full year ( after rebates).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by Lincolns mummy View Post
    Have you looked into paid parental leave and everything you would be entitled to through Centrelink?
    Have you looked at childcare waiting lists and price in your area? Does it make it worthwhile going back?
    I would have a back up plan in case bub is sick, you take a while to recover etc
    I have just found out I am pregnant with a surprise baby. I've had 14 months off with each of my two boys and I cannot face another 12 month plus break from work- for many reasons but my own desire to work is one of them. DH and I have agreed that I will take less time off and this bub will be starting childcare around 5 months. I already feel like a huge weight has lifted off my shouldera. My Mummy Instincts are working just fine.

OP, don't feel any guilt for doing what is right for you and your family.

Sent from my XT925 using The Bub Hub mobile app

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hamilicious For This Useful Post:

bitterpure  (04-01-2015),DizzyDaisy  (04-01-2015),littleriv  (04-01-2015),Maxwell's Silver Hammer  (04-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, this happens all the time. I know a lot of women who have gone back to work soon after having bub- for lots of reasons- including financial and desire to work. One hurdle can be securing a daycare place for a young baby as some wait lists won't include a baby who has not been born yet. Because you are working, you will most likely get maternity leave, then paid parental leave, so you may be able to take up to 5 months off and still have money coming in. Good luck, I hope you fall pregnant soon. And also, hats off to you and your DH for working hard to overcome your debts.