+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 4 month old.....sleeping issues

hi there
    Really needing some advice here. Up until 3/4 weeks ago my 4 month old was sleeping all night now she's up every 2 hours! Understand this whole regression and wonder week business but how long should you persist before making changes.

I've tried topping up at bedtime feed with formula thinking it could be my supply but this only stretched her a extra hour; if that! And when she wakes there's no settling her only through feeding. And to make matters worse she's now cut her 2 bottle teeth!

Please help this lack of sleep is killing me!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Is bub feeding to sleep? The 4 month sleep regression marks a permanent change in their sleep . They rouse from sleep every 40 minutes and if something isn't right in their environment they wake and unfortunately bring a permanent change means bub won't ever just go back to sleeping as he used to.

Though it's hard you will need to stop rocking or feeding to sleep and put bub down and settle him in his sleep space by patting his tummy and sssssssshing until he sleeps. It's so much easier said than done I know as I'm battling DSs feed to sleep association before this regression hits, especially with a needy toddler to deal with at the same time.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

debsch  (05-01-2015),SugarSkull  (01-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    Is bub feeding to sleep? The 4 month sleep regression marks a permanent change in their sleep . They rouse from sleep every 40 minutes and if something isn't right in their environment they wake and unfortunately bring a permanent change means bub won't ever just go back to sleeping as he used to.

Though it's hard you will need to stop rocking or feeding to sleep and put bub down and settle him in his sleep space by patting his tummy and sssssssshing until he sleeps. It's so much easier said than done I know as I'm battling DSs feed to sleep association before this regression hits, especially with a needy toddler to deal with at the same time.
    Thank you for the response! I don't think she is feeding to sleep as I've always been conscious of self settling so I'll feed then put her to bed awake then pop dummy in and she sends herself to sleep. Trying time!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Oh! Then I'm no help then, sorry, I had always thought if they fell asleep where they were going to wake the regression could be avoided.

Perhaps the dummy is the issue. Can you just replace it and he settles?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

jenjen8  (04-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    hard to say as sometimes the dummy will sooth other times forget it! ugh

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Nasim2 View Post
    My 5 month old son took until he was 4 months 3wks old before he stopped doing that from just a week before he was 4 months old. I thought id never get out of it! He now wakes up only once if he sleeps early maybe twice. I found giving him his bath or shower and then his last feed around 9.30-10pm and playing with him helped lots. But just telling you it's normal he's my second child and from experience I know they're sleep changes and goes up and down a lot. Do you still wrap you baby? My son was happy sleeping unwrapped but throughout those weeks I found wrapping him made him sleep longer.
    thanks heaps funny enough I've just wrapped her in a swaddle today and she's been down for a hour for a afternoon nap which is good! thank you ☺️ I had been one arm swaddling previously. I really do hope it passes soon, were coming into the 3rd week and only 9 days til end of another leap so everything is crossed!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My daughter has been exactly the same! Went from sleeping all night to waking up every hour from 2am! All I have to do is going in and put in her dummy and sometimes her noise thingo and she is back asleep straight away. It has been like that for 3-4 weeks

I read something listing the signs they might be ready to start eating and this is one of them. We gave her rice cereal after her bottle at lunchtime yesterday and then I mixed a teaspoon in with her last bottle of the nigh (7:30pm) and she finally sleep through last night! Not sure if it's a coincidence will see what happens tonight!

Could that be something to try? Good luck! I understand your frustration!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to NicErin For This Useful Post:

jenjen8  (05-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just got my farex today funny enough so going to try tomorrow! Can you please let me know how you get on tonight please! Thanks heaps!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I know it's hard, but it will pass. It sounds like age and teething that might be causing her to keep waking. If she is waking for milk, please breastfeed her. Giving her formula will not help your supply, if you think it's a supply issue

I'm pretty sure the current recommendation for solids is still 6 months, but if you wish to start earlier you can start on puree vegetables and fruit. Farex doesn't really have any nutritional value for them.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Teenz For This Useful Post:

jenjen8  (05-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's 6:50am and DD is still asleep and didn't wake at all last night. Not saying that it will work for everyone but introducing farex seems to have helped her.

Current recommendations are 6months but maternal health nurse said it is ok between 4-6months if they are ready. I wasn't planning on introducing solids until she was 6months but after reading the paperwork the MHN gave me and some other info I realised she could be ready. It seems she was. I'm only feeding her a spoonful after her lunchtime bottle and then a teaspoon mixed in with her night time bottle.

Like I said, it might not fix the issue for everyone but seems to have helped here

15. The Following User Says Thank You to NicErin For This Useful Post:

jenjen8  (05-01-2015)