+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Thanks
    Reviews
    OP I too did a bit of stretching out of feeds when my dd was young. We followed the parts of sos that worked for us. I agree with lots of the advice.. I stretched her out slowly, 10 or 15 minutes if I could. I used distraction so we'd go outside, look at things, go for a short walk etc. It worked really well for us BUT I found she still cluster fed in the late afternoon. So would sometimes feed twice or 3 times between 4pm and bed. However she continued to sleep well at night. I decided that was a good trade off for us. She was a happy and thriving bub. Good luck! Let us know how you get on.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I bf number 1 on demand and he slept terribly and had awful colic. Number 2 I thought it wouldn't hurt trying something different when he was following the same pattern at 12 weeks.

One day I left ds1 with hubby and drove for an hour with ds2. He was desperate for a sleep and really didn't need to feed more. When he woke he had a huge feed and it was almost like I hit the reset switch. After that he was much better, we still had days where he fed early or slept crap but the majority of days were good.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

AmyEL  (05-01-2015),VicPark  (05-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    OP: another little story from me. Stretching out feeds for me worked up until about 4-4.5 months.

With bub nr 2 I seemed to have forgotten some key things and up until 10ish weeks I was feeding him whenever he squarked. Turns out half the time he was tired not hungry (thanks to the local MACH clinic video!). So distracting wasn't the key, settling him to sleep at the right time was (ie by the 2 hour after waking mark).

Then around 4 months DS2 started catnapping during the day (separate from the 4 month sleep regression which only lasted a couple of weeks). I knew he wasn't cold (a common cause if catnapping) and we had just moved his day naps out a bit so it wasn't that he wasn't tired enough. Which led me to believe it was hunger. Because DS1 was a bit small I held off on solids and tried giving a top up feed 15 mins before nap time (being careful to not feed to sleep). It didn't work. Turns out DS2 was ready for solids and nothing else was going to cut the mustard. The catnapping stopped when we stated solids at 5 months.

Hope there is something of use for you in all of this!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

AmyEL  (05-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Pushing out feeds...

I didn't follow SOS (not because I necessarily disagree with it, it just didn't work for me), but I DID try stretching out feeds a bit and found it really helped with her colic and reflux, it actually helped increase my chronically low supply too as we were both more relaxed at feed time and DD nursed much more effectively. At that age the day feeds would be anywhere between 3-4 hours, overnight she dropped a feed do we were only up once around 3am.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Ah!! What did I miss while I was sleeping?! Darn you time zones!

::runs to catch up::